Large Unit

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Cearapeter

Large Unit

Post by Cearapeter »

Hello Everyone

We will shortly be fighting a GdB (Quatra Bras).

Just wanted to check do I count my 36 figure French Units as 'Large'?

Thanks

EQUITES

Re: Large Unit

Post by EQUITES »

Hi,
if you maintain the scale 1:20 like me , then 36figs French unit is a standard unit.
Anyway GDA allows you to adjust from time to time and then you can adopt 24figs as standard unit and 36figs as large unit.
Michele

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

It’s entirely up to you what you consider “Large”. If you’re playing to a scale where 48 figs is “Standard” then 36 figs might be classed as “Small”.

The only consideration would be relative ground scale. If you’re playing with 20mm—25mm figs then most folk would use the 15mm groundscale laid down in the rules and then your 36 figure battalions are covering a large footprint on the table, so should probably be classed as Large, or at most Standard.

wireme61

Post by wireme61 »

If you look at page 5 in the rule book under figure scale Dave states "For example, you could settle on 1:20 scale, where a Standard French battalion would be 28, 32 or 36 figures, whilst a British one would be 30 (or 40 figures if a Large battalion)".
Hope that helps.

Mark

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve »

The number of figures is irrelevant to the game. The number of bases is the critical bit. The number of bases defines whether a unit is small, standard or large. A common approach is 4,6,8 bases respectively.

Each army should have generally the same sized base.

I agree with contrarius that the base size has to be given some consideration as it defines the foot print of the unit. This will affect the terrain size needed.

Generally I would think that a 25mm square base with the number of bases described above would be ok for most divsions on a 4x6' table.

John

Cearapeter

Post by Cearapeter »

Thank you everyone. We did consider it a 'standard' unit, but I just wanted to see what others thought.

CP

dakkadakka

Post by dakkadakka »

I’m using 3/4/5 bases for unit sizes for my 10mm army. Having three bases for a small unit is a little wonky for making a column of divisions(you are supposed to have 2 bases wide and 2 deep); but, I just offset the odd base between the two in front. I wouldn’t mind going to 4/6/8 bases; but, that makes the line formations really long for my 4x6 table.

Plus, that’s a lot more figures to paint. . .

Blucher

Post by Blucher »

All my French battalions have six bases corresponding to the number of companies. I game in 15mm with a frontage of 10mm per figure. Bases have two ranks and are 30mm deep. My small French battalions have four figures per 20 by 30mm base for a total of 24 figures. My standard French battalions have six figures per 30 by 30mm base for a total of 36 figures. My Prussians have four bases corresponding to the number of companies. Standard Prussian battalions have 32 figures and large have 40 figures with base frontages of 40 and 50mm respectively. Ted