Cavalry Vs square charge result

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

joe.harrison89

Cavalry Vs square charge result

Post by joe.harrison89 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:37 am

A cavalry loss against a square result surprised my colleague in a game recently.

The worst result for cavalry is a casualty and retire.

Are there any historical cases whereby a square was broken and the cavalry still lost the melee? Or the cavalry did not retire and instead was shot to pieces? I understand that every freak result cannot be modelled.

I haven't found any but many other rules do give a chance that the cavalry is eliminated which is where the expectation comes from and was a major problem with those rules sets.

Any thoughts please?

Archdukek

Re: Cavalry Vs square charge result

Post by Archdukek » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:32 pm

Hi Joe,

To be honest many other wargame rules simply get this facet of Napoleonic battles wrong. I think that the GDA Charge Procedure accurately reflects the fact that the vast majority of cavalry charges against well formed infantry squares resulted in no contact, with the cavalry swirling around before withdrawing in some confusion. A well ordered square would also resist the temptation to fire all its muskets against the moving target presented by the cavalry since that would leave the square vulnerable to being charged by the cavalry’s supports. So the outcome provided by the rules to my mind is entirely reasonable.

A Retire result can be quite disruptive and cause further delay if the cavalry have inadequate supports to fall back on. If the square is supported by well placed artillery they can make a mess of the cavalry who are also potentially vulnerable to a well timed charge by enemy cavalry if they are available.

Overall I think the GDA rules work well in this area and that your colleague’s not unreasonable expectations reflect a wargamer’s myth promulgated in other rules. :-)

John

joe.harrison89

Post by joe.harrison89 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:45 pm

Absolutely, and I am glad that GDA is spot on in this respect.

bellebsc

Post by bellebsc » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:53 pm

Even a square with a multitude of casualties is still hard to break and GDA offers a full flavour of how hard it is to break one