Multiple unit units charges

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

joe.harrison89

Multiple unit units charges

Post by joe.harrison89 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:25 pm

Hi,

If a cavalry unit with support cavalry unit is charged by a single cavalry unit, can the target unit contact AND the support cavalry unit opportunity charge to also contact? Effectively, crating a two on one possible melee situation?

The scenario is detailed in the GDA official amendments example 3 ( defending cavalry support opportunity charge option).

The difference is that both charge targets fight back rather than one or the other.

Given the choice a player will always take the two (or three) against one options over supports. Is there ever a situation where supports are beneficial or possible over 2vs1 ?

Thanks

Polish Lancer

Re: Multiple unit units charges

Post by Polish Lancer » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:24 am

In answer to your first question I would say no. Reason is, as soon as you declare the opportunity charge and pass the discipline test you have essentially taken the initiative away from your opponent in this instance, thus cancelling his charge declaration. Your cavalry is now charging him! If your adjacent unit is still in supporting range then it can be added to the fight in the 2nd round of melee if there is one.

If you do not opportunity charge then you have your support for the Charges phase. It can only be added to the melee in the 2nd round.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:31 pm

I’d agree with Polish Lancer that the answer to your first question is a no. Your opportunity charging unit, if successful, interrupts the normal sequence and must complete it’s charge process albeit possibly with support. The original target unit cannot subsequently declare a charge.

As to the second question, it can often be more valuable to win the Charge Procedure at the outset forcing the enemy to retire, retreat or rout. Having a support re-roll can help immensely with that. Remember to if attacking then any supporting units can potentially still move into contact with the defending unit if close enough and the charge results in a Melee thus adding their combat dice to the fight.

John

joe.harrison89

Post by joe.harrison89 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:54 pm

Understood. Thanks all for your replies.

I was missing that the flank supports could also melee if within range.

The GDA rules' charge mechanism has to be the best that I have used among any ruleset! Very clever.