Arty firing and skirmish screens

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

bvera

Arty firing and skirmish screens

Post by bvera » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:34 pm

I have some confusion about how to handle artillery firing when the enemy brigade is effectively covered by a skirmish screen.
Page 71 indicates that a skirmish screen 5” or further of a parent unit effectively masks that unit
Page 71 also indicates that artillery shot always pass through the skirmish screen and strike the close order units behind.
But then in the table in page 77 (Fire modifiers) there is a -2 penalty for artillery firing at Skirmnishes

Should I read then that when artillery is firing at any close order unit and there’s an effective skirmish screen masking that unit, a -2 penalty is applied although the fire result is applied to the close order unit behind?

Thanks for the clarification
Benito
...and visit my blog! http://mylardiesgames.blogspot.com.es/

Polish Lancer

Re: Arty firing and skirmish screens

Post by Polish Lancer » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:47 pm

When the screen is over 5cm forward of their brigade the artillery may fire upon the units behind at no negative, the -2 does not apply as you are not firing at the skirmishers. The screen really only stops musketry.

baxterj

Post by baxterj » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:05 am

The -2 penalty is just for artillery firing at skirmishers where they are the only target. If you have skirmish screen greater than 5cm in front of the formed units, for artillery, the first casualty is taken on the screen, the rest on the formed unit. It mentions canister in the rules, but I cant see that you can choose to fire canister anywhere else. I would take this to be short range firing only.

bvera

Post by bvera » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:11 am

The first casualty taken by the skirmish screen only applies to short range artillery fire (canister), that’s clearly stated in the rules.
The -2 firing on skirmishes makes sense
Thanks
Benito
...and visit my blog! http://mylardiesgames.blogspot.com.es/