6mm Basing

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

zabarr

6mm Basing

Post by zabarr »

I'm curious about playing this game in 6mm. I'll be starting from scratch, so super flexible on the basing. Does anyone have any recommendations for me? Thanks in advance.

Simmerson

Re: 6mm Basing

Post by Simmerson »

I play using 6mm figures but opted to use 15mm measurement when it came to range/movement. This was done to speed things up for a club night.

For small units i use 4 bases, 6 for normal and 8 for large. Each base has eight figures (two rows of 4) I stumbled on this as Baccus supply men in strips of four. 20mm by 20mm. The same principle for cavalry but only two men per base. 1 Cannon constitutes 2 cannon. For skirmish i put two figures on each base. ADC are one 20mm circular base, 2 figures for brigade commanders and three figures on a circular 30mm base.

Having now played a number of games I perhaps should of done 6 infantry per base using 15mm by 15mm bases. Although the way I have done so looks great on mass and still works very well.

I use unit trays from a company called Warbases.

zabarr

Post by zabarr »

Awesome thank you. Do you find things fiddly with so many small bases? Worth consolidating for 6mm?

Simmerson

Post by Simmerson »

Not really, as i use movement trays as per picture. Just change the base if needing to change formation.

Without the bases yes it can be fiddly, but doing as i did help hugely.
Last edited by Simmerson on Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bellebsc

Post by bellebsc »

I'm away for the weekend mate but I'm a big 6mm napoleonic player using GDA and I'm happy enough to pass on what I do and you'll be pleasantly surprised. So if you want pass me a pm and I'll give you my email then on Monday send you lots of pictures and info on how I represent units with my 6mm adler figures.

R

Simmerson

Post by Simmerson »

These are the movement trays i use:

https://warbases.co.uk/product-category ... der-trays/

zabarr

Post by zabarr »

Wow thank you, that’s super useful. I appreciate the pictures as well. Those movement trays are really cool. Cheers for the offer Belle, PM’d.

zabarr

Post by zabarr »

For some reason it seems that my PM is stuck in the outbox. Is that normal?

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

zabarr wrote:
Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:49 am
For some reason it seems that my PM is stuck in the outbox. Is that normal?
I've noticed that it appears to stay there until the recipient actually opens the PM in his Inbox. It has been sent.

John

dakkadakka

Post by dakkadakka »

Simmerson - I like that basing plan. I think I’ll use it on my 10mm figures. Most of the infantry are mounted on 1/2” x 1-1/2” metal bases - I’ll just whip up some 1” x 1-1/2” magnetic bases and stick two of the infantry bases on each one. The cavalry are mounted two figures on a 1” x1” base - I can do the same thing with them, except on a 1” x2” base.

My armies are mounted per the La Petit Armee rules; but, I think this system should work. I need to do a LOT more painting!!!

Jim