'Real' Guard Brigades

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

baxterj

'Real' Guard Brigades

Post by baxterj » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:45 am

gents, amongst some tinkering my colleague and I were doing I thought about troop grades and how I would like to have a genuine Guard status units. I am talking about real Old Guard,best Brit Foot Guards, maybe some select Russian Guard units. So rather than play around with the unit grading by creating another group of modifiers, how about automatically giving real Guard brigades the capacity to re-roll any failed brigade command rolls with using an ADC? I guess that this just simulates their capacity to get moving better than the average brigade. Thoughts?

Polish Lancer

Re: 'Real' Guard Brigades

Post by Polish Lancer » Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:24 am

Not sure on this one as I find guards who are elite under the rules, quite resilient anyways. Doing what you suggest is of course okay, but if they go hesitant then this could be caused by many battlefield situations. It could make them quite overpowering.

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:40 am

Isn’t hesitancy all about friction in the chain of command? It’s more to do with the brigade commanders than the troops under them. Admittedly, the battalion commanders generate part of the friction and their rating is subsumed in the troop quality.

Anyhow, don’t “excellent” brigade commanders already get a re-roll? (I certainly give one to mine as a way of getting the game moving.)

ShadowDragon

Post by ShadowDragon » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:50 pm

Given that “real guard” brigades were often not committed or only reluctantly one could argue the other way. I’m sure Marshal Massena, if he were alive, would have a strong opinion about that.