Just a thought

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

nikjen66

Just a thought

Post by nikjen66 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:51 am

Although our group love the rules and the ‘friction’ created by the ADC and Activation rolls I was just wondering what people views were on the following.

In some of the other periods we play, where ‘friction’ is also key, the commander, whether he is a squad leader or Frederick the Great, can override some of this using his personal intervention. In Might & Reason it’s called something like ‘taking the scruff’, in other words the Boss rides up and takes over providing up close and personal attention for as long as required to get something done.

In GdA this could also be really simply applied by allowing a Brigadier who is in contact with the army commander (Division or Corps) to automatically pass his Activation.

For me this works on several levels.

1. When playing the game as army commander I have limited control and the ADC and Activation rules along with everything else from firing, charging and discipline tests constantly remind me of this and that’s great. But, as General Ney I’m Not going to sit next to a Brigadier and gayly watch him cock up my plans by failing to act on my instructions. I’m going to ride over and ram a rocket up his backside (you can tell which school of management I went to) until he gets his act sorted!

2. Now, as I am taking this personal intervention I will lose some control of the battle in a wider sense and this is reflected by me having to ride over to that location, displacing my central position and quite possibly putting other brigades out of my command range. Perhaps it should cost an ADC as I may be harder for them to locate me in the midst of battle.

3. Perhaps where the army commander is a bit of a duffer this might not be allowed as having a ‘sock full of shite’ telling an experienced professional soldier what to do might not go down to well.

Just a thought. Please be gentle with me.

Nick

Archdukek

Re: Just a thought

Post by Archdukek » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:59 am

Hi Nick,
Can I suggest that you read the "Command!" Tasking, paragraph 11 on page 33, which allows the CinC to take personal command of a brigade at the cost of 3 ADCs. That seems to me to be what you are looking for.

John

nikjen66

Post by nikjen66 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:38 pm

Hi John,

Yes seen that but can only be used once in a game, requires 3 ADCs and still doesn’t guarantee that the brigade will activate!!!

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:22 pm

nikjen66 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:38 pm
Hi John,

Yes seen that but can only be used once in a game, requires 3 ADCs and still doesn’t guarantee that the brigade will activate!!!
C'est la Guerre! :D

vlad48

Post by vlad48 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:17 pm

Hi,
One of the things with Friction in rules is finding the right balance between acceptable setbacks and plain bad dicing (or other mechanics) that ruins a player's experience (especially at a demo participation game!)
Our club has addressed this with rule tweaks that make REPEATED failures less likely. With GdA. if a brigade is Hesitant from the roll of a 1 or 2, on the following turn it will only be hesitant on the roll of a 1.
Besides the once-per-game limitation, another challenge with the Command Tasking is that in some games you may only have 2-3 potential ADCs each turn - as Richard did in the recent Lard TV epic game - making Command improbable or impossible.
- Walt

nikjen66

Post by nikjen66 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:11 am

Hi Dave,

Any thoughts on this?

Nick

EQUITES

Post by EQUITES » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:21 am

my 2 cents.....
I had the same experience when I was requested to me to show the rules in another club.
Unfortunately the players performed very bad dicing during the firsts turns in the command phase and then this impacted their overall judgment . Personally I played a dozen of games and the incidence of Hesitant brigades is variable but perfectly acceptable and GDA is , IMO, the best tactical rule set for the period .
Another matter is that , IMO, the minimum number of ADCs/brigades per side is 5 at lest in order to play a very enjoable game.
Michele

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown » Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:52 am

N,

Two points here:

First Hesitant. Introducing new rules and mechanisms to new players has a "friction" all of its own. This increases if these players have been used to moving units as and when they wish or relying on a certain rules designed tactic, amongst other things. If a player is relying on these old mechanisms to win his new game, then there is friction. The best place to discuss this is in the bar afterwards, or over a post-game chat about rules and history.
(There is of course, nothing to stop you using your own special rule amendments when introducing a game to new players to help overcome this.)

On the Hesitant point itself, the reverse of your point could also be true, once hesitant, a brigade is perhaps more prone to hesitancy rather than less. ;)
(Again if you are playing a demo game and you want the game to flow more freely, then yes introduce something like a +1 modifier to the Brigade Command roll if you were Hesitant last turn.)

Second the Command Tasking. If you are playing a small game the feel free to alter when the Command tasking can be played, perhaps lower the requirement to 2 ADCs if you only have three brigades?

DB

Simmerson

Post by Simmerson » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:59 pm

I was going to try an amendment on my next game this Sunday.

In essence if you give an infantry unit an assault order successfully, then the unit does not need to check if its hesitant again until a unit within the brigade becomes unformed or the brigade completes its objective of the assault order