Opportunity charge.

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Archdukek

Re: Opportunity charge.

Post by Archdukek » Mon May 20, 2019 2:50 am

Hi Nick,
I agree with your point about reducing the benefit of having the initiative if we followed Mart and Polish Lancer's line. However, the player with the initiative can still declare Opportunity Charges as necessary with supporting or other units who've not declared their own charge.

John

bellebsc

Post by bellebsc » Mon May 20, 2019 7:15 am

Eh?? We were told it's only the non phasing player who can claim opportunity charges

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Mon May 20, 2019 8:30 am

Hi R and Nick,
Apologies, you are quite right the rules on Opportunity Charges does limit them to the non- phasing player. I think I was confusing myself with the reference to the defending player in the FAQ. That's what I get for replying in the wee small hours when I couldn't sleep without my rulebook to hand. :oops:

John

Edit: Can't think why there should be such a restriction though? I can conceive of circumstances when the initiative player might want to hold back a cavalry unit to cover his infantry advance say, rather than commit them in the Charge Phase, but would react if the enemy declared its own charge on the friendly unit its covering. :?

bigduke1327

Post by bigduke1327 » Mon May 20, 2019 4:29 pm

Gents,

pg51 of the rules, Opportunity Charges, has the line
If both players order Opportunity Charges involving opposing units, the Phasing Player will have priority.
That would imply both sides can indeed launch Opportunity Charges, so the Phasing Player could react if he had a unit spare to a non-phasing players Opportunity Charge by launching his own Opportunity Charge.

This does sound like its getting complicated but I think it's a fairly infrequent event (at least in our games) so doesn't happen that often.

I'm seeing DB this Sunday (26th) so if he hasn't jumped on by then I will ask him and let you all know his sage words of wisdom.

Mart

bellebsc

Post by bellebsc » Tue May 21, 2019 8:15 am

Hi Mart

DB addressed that very sentence in the rules and he didn't understand why it was in there and at the same time confirmed that it's only the non phasing player who can claim an opportunity charge.

Polish Lancer

Post by Polish Lancer » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:31 am

This seems to have been in limbo after such a great discussion. Will the DB share his wisdom on this debate?

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:38 am

PL,

To reconfirm - it's as per Bellebsc's last remark.

Opp charges can also be fraught with danger, as we found on 26th fighting Vitoria, when weary French dragoons tried to opportunity charge British heavy dragoons and failed - badly - permitting those heavies to ride into a French battery!

DB

bellebsc

Post by bellebsc » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:51 am

Hi DB

The original question is still waiting on you to answer from the part of target of charge of this thread lays my question and we'd love to get your wisdom 🤣🤣

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:28 pm

B,

Is that the initial OP question?

I won initiative so declare my cav charge towards a french cav unit, however I have an enemy cav unit to my flank who declares an opportunity charge to stop my cav .
All good so far but my question is as my original target of the charge is no longer going to be charged as I'm now the target of the french on my flank is the original french cav unit free to make his own charge declaration??

No. The opportunity to declare its own charge has been missed, as it was originally the target of a charge.

You'll note that Charge Declarations come first, so barring Opportunity Charges, if you don't declare a charge or can't declare a charge in Charge Declarations the opportunity is missed.

So for clarity it goes:
1. Phasing Players Charge Declarations.
2. Non-Phasing Players Charge Declarations including Opportunity Charges.
3. Opportunity Charges carried out.
4. Phasing Players Charges carried out.
5. Non-phasing players remaining charges carried out.

Hope that helps. ;)

DB

bellebsc

Post by bellebsc » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:18 pm

Absolutely helps DB.

Think some of us were arguing they can and some say you can't but getting from yourself answers all the above

Thanks
R