2 flank questions

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

vlad48

2 flank questions

Post by vlad48 » Sun May 12, 2019 5:49 pm

Our latest game resulted in two questions for the forum to do with flank charges.
In our case Prussian cavalry charged French cavalry in the flank resulting in a two-step melee.
1. In the charge resolution, would the charging unit get BOTH the flank charge bonus and the bonus for having a wider front(than the French's units flank)?
2. If a tie presents the option of a second round of melee, does the charging side still get the Flank Bonus in the second melee round?
Thanks in advance, as always.
- Walt

Archdukek

Re: 2 flank questions

Post by Archdukek » Sun May 12, 2019 7:43 pm

Hi Walt,
Don't have the rules with me to check, but off the top of my head I would say:
1) Yes, it's a wider formation at the point of contact if the defender can't wheel in time;
2) No, if the defender has survived the first round it can only be because he has turned enough men around to face off the attackers so is no longer flanked in my view. Also don't all the defenders bases count as fighting in the second round or am I confusing rule sets again?

John

vlad48

Post by vlad48 » Mon May 13, 2019 5:47 pm

Hi John,
Interesting interpretation on the wider formation issue - as I myself would have ONLY given the bonus for being flanked, since flanked units are almost always narrower where they are contacted. I don't know if anyone else will offer a thought here.
About the only time I haven't totally agreed, Archdukek. Wonder if anyone else can offer a legal opinion.
- Walt

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Mon May 13, 2019 9:31 pm

Hi Walt,
Might be worth remembering that there is no bonus for being in a wider formation, it is actually a malus of -1 or -1 CD on the defender in the charge procedure and melee and in the former only applies to cavalry. Can't see why the defender taken on the flank should gain an advantage in that case when he probably faces a greater chance of enemy troopers falling on its rear.

John

Polish Lancer

Post by Polish Lancer » Tue May 14, 2019 1:58 am

another interesting one! The flank is always narrower, but it technically is not the units frontage! Frontage is the front or facing of the unit imho. Thus the narrower frontage -1 is not relevant as the unit has not been contacted on it front. Remember that all charges must be in a straight line perpendicular to the "new frontage." (p40) So I agree with Walt above and would apply only the -2 for flanked in the initial Charge roll. As indicated a melee took placed with the unit flanked, this then went for a 2nd round, in which case I agree the defending unit should be turned to face as the melee is now full of swirling sabres.

vlad48

Post by vlad48 » Wed May 15, 2019 1:52 am

Hi Polish Lancer,
Yes, during the game there was a tongue-in-cheek debate about "frontage" vs "flankage".