28mm Con Game

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

vlad48

28mm Con Game

Post by vlad48 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:45 am

For those discussing games in 28mm. I have posted a few pictures from our GdA games at Vancouver's Trumpeter Salute Convention.
Both games featured the same scenario with Russians and Prussians facing the French. Please follow the link.

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=116570.0
Last edited by vlad48 on Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Archdukek

Re: 28mm Con Game

Post by Archdukek » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:55 am

Impressive looking games Walt.

I confess I still struggle with 12 figure battalions, but I may just need to bite the bullet and give it a go sometime. It will double the size of my armies overnight! :-)
In the meantime John P and I will be trying out his suggestion of using a 16 figure standard battalion at the Club next Monday so I can accustom myself gently to the change.

John

vlad48

Re: 28mm Con Game

Post by vlad48 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:09 pm

Thanks for the comment, Archduke. Unfortunately we didn't get many close-in shots to show the quality of our collective collections.

Many gamers around this area (Great Vancouver) have the 12-figure battalions based on standards for other rule sets. I've long been interested in striving for the best unit size/footprint - and of course, it depends on your priorities.
A 24-figure battalion truly looks impressive - and some companies do sell "unit packs" with 24 figures. However, there are the downsides of cost, painting time, (assembly time for plastics too) - and the sheer size that each unit requires.
Looking at the size of battles in the new 100 Days supplement, I'd argue using larger-figure units is going to make it more difficult - and less fun - to play as you will have less room to maneuver. Splitting units down to 12 castings (16 for large units, as in Austrians) can still let you put the same number of nicely painted models on the table - but grants you twice as many units to command. Let us know what you think if you try it.