Oportunity Charge Distance

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

wireme61

Oportunity Charge Distance

Post by wireme61 »

Sorry if I missed this but is there a distance minimum where Cavalry cannot Opportunity Charge?

As I did not see this what would happen if French Hussars (F) at 6cm(4") away from a worn Austrian Hussar Regiment (A1) declare a charge.
A fresh Austrian Uhlan (A2) Regiment wishes to Opportunity Charge passes its "Discipline Test" to Opportunity Charge. The rule states the French Hussar unit moves forward 5cm(3") which would take it to within 1cm(1/2") of the Austrian hussars (A1). (See Below).

1) How to handle this distance as it bring the unit closer then 5cm(3")?
2) Could the Uhlans (A2) actually Opportunity charge If the French Hussar unit moved out of there arc of Charge closing to within 1cm(1/2")?

FFFFFF

AAAAA AAAAA
(1) (2)

Archdukek

Re: Oportunity Charge Distance

Post by Archdukek »

There is no minimum distance specified for an opportunity charge.

In your example the French Hussars cannot advance closer than 5cm [3"] to the Austrian Hussars since once the Non-phasing player declares an Opportunity Charge and passes the Discipline Test, the French charge is cancelled. That being the case the normal movement restrictions on Minimum Close Distance to the Enemy on page 55 will apply. So in that case the Hussars cannot complete the usual 5cm[3"] forward movement you refer to but must halt at the 5cm [3"] point instead.

If at that point the French Hussars are within the charge arc and move of the Austrian Uhlans then they will be intercepted by the Uhlans and the Charge procedure conducted.

John

bellebsc

Post by bellebsc »

There's an ammenment in the rules.

A cavalry unit charging it's target and within 9" then no opportunity charge can be declared against it as they are classed as to slow to react due to the short distance.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Duh, I actually checked the Charge section of the FAQ before replying too. Must remember to check the rule amendment section as well next time. :oops:

John

wireme61

Post by wireme61 »

I had missed that also only looking in the charge section.
Good catch.
Thank you,
Mark