Dismounted Cavalry

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

AFPU

Dismounted Cavalry

Post by AFPU » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:04 am

Hi.

Perry's make some nice dismounted British Light Dragoons; but I can't see anywhere in GDA the ability to dismount cavalry, so does anyone have any ideas or house rules I could use?

bellebsc

Re: Dismounted Cavalry

Post by bellebsc » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:12 am

Why not use picketts charge rules as it's the same author rule set.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:35 pm

Napoleonic Light Cavalry generally wouldn't fight dismounted in the kind of battle which a GdA game represents which I presume is why there are no rules for this. It is a key difference from the ACW.

If you like the figures why don't you consider using them for Sharp Practice. You can also use traditionally mounted Napoleonic troops for that. They don't have to be individually based.

John

AFPU

Post by AFPU » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:25 pm

Thank for the replies and the idea of using the Pickett's Charge rules is a good one as I already have these for my ACW armies; and if I do choose to use the dismounted Light Dragoons I'll probably only let them operate as skirmishers.

AFPU

Post by AFPU » Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:40 pm

Hi

I have found that on Page 79 of the rules it states that under Cavalry Firing "Dismounted Dragoon regiments operate either as Close Order Infantry or Infantry Skirmishers."

So the rules appear to allow for dismounted cavalry, and in particular Dragoons.

Regards
Gary

baxterj

Post by baxterj » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:45 am

I suspect that that rule is intended for the 'foot' dragoon regts in 1805/06, rather than your typical dismounted French dragoon squadron in the Peninsula etc. IMHO, these should fire as skirmishers only. I have dismounted skirmishing figures done for two of my AB French dragoon regts so am thinking on how to depict them in the rules myself!

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:08 am

A/B,

Dismounted Dragoons in close order would be the French dismounted dragoon a pied regiments of the Austerlitz campaign.

In all other situations, yes, dismounted dragoons would operate as skirmishers.

DB

bvera

Post by bvera » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:25 am

Funny coincidence, this was extensively covered in Henry Hyde’s latest podcast (I listened yesterday). ACW was an infantry war, in a context of lack of tradition of cavalry types (heavy, medium and light), tactics and differentiated roles
Totally the opposite in Europe
Benito
...and visit my blog! http://mylardiesgames.blogspot.com.es/