Starting 15/18mm Napoleonics

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Chaingun

Starting 15/18mm Napoleonics

Post by Chaingun »

Hi

I’ve bought both General d’Armee and pickett’s Charge. I would like to start play General d’Armee first and would like some advice.

I’m looking at starting two 15/18mm forces, French and British for the Peninsular campaign. What would be a good starting force to build and learn the game?

Would basing both sides on 4 figures to a base and 6 bases for a battalion work for a standard unit?

Any other advice for starting this project would be appreciated.

Thanks
Lee
https://battlebunkerblog.com Wargaming for fun :D

bellebsc

Re: Starting 15/18mm Napoleonics

Post by bellebsc »

Absoultly as the figures aren't really counted in GdA so you could make your bases big enough to fit 4 figures I'd say 20mm x 20mm for a closer fit

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve »

Good luck with your project. I switched from 28 mm to 15/18 mm Napoleonics just before GdA came out. Never regretted it, although it was a lot of work to get rid of 3000 28mm Napoleonics.

Your basing plan is exactly what I do. There are very few large battalions so I would work on 4 figures to a base with 6 bases to a unit. I would highly recommend using 25x25mm bases as the unit of measurement in 15/18mm games is the centimetre. I find it extremely useful as a quick aid to movement as it if I am moving 5 cm to the flank I just move 2 of the bases out of the 6 from the far end of the unit and so on.

In respect to starting units for the peninsula, I would pick a division, wikipedia has lots of info. Maybe start with the 1st, 3rd or Light division for the British. The French are a little easier as they all look the same but put together a force of 1/3 legere and 2/3 ligne. I would put some artillery together (maybe 2 batteries per side). I would worry less about cavalry until you have a good force of infantry.

Remember that the game functions at the Brigade level so it s nice to have at least 4 brigades per side to generate the requisite ADC's.

John

ps you can look at my website in the left hand column you can see my Napoleonic OB that I have build up over time. The unit compositions are historically accurate for the year they are mustered. http://fuentesdeonoro.blogspot.com

Chaingun

Post by Chaingun »

Thanks for the quick replies. I can certainly see both of your points regarding ade sizes.

For me the 28mm figures look fabulous, but I feel they don’t quite look a battle on a table unless your playing at the Wargames holiday centre. So the 15/18mm is a good compromise in my opinion.

Thanks John for your advice, I will take a look on your website for more information

wireme61

Post by wireme61 »

You may want to check your area for others playing the rules to see what they are using. If not I know in our area in the US we used to play Empire and Napoleons battles. So stands were in inches. When we started rebasing we used 1/30 or 1/33 scale in which we use 4 Infantry figures to a 3/4" wide x 1" Deep base x 6 for a standard battalion. Cavalry is 2 figures per base at 1" x 1" x 6 for standard regiment. Artillery is 1 Gun Model and 4 figures on a 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" base x 2 for standard battery. But I think a lot just depends on if you have other players in your area that use a different basing standard. Which is what is great about these rules they are very flexible.

Mark

vlad48

Post by vlad48 »

Congratulations on your entry into GdA and PC in 15mm.
And allow me to offer one other option to consider that will offer several very real benefits - choosing to use smaller battalion sizes of 4 stands instead of 6 stands as you described. The advantages:
1. you will be able to get more units onto the table without feeling squeezed
2. you will still be able to have that "massed formation" feel that 15mms do so well - you'll just to it with more units (if you choose)
3. it will be cheaper and save you painting time - you will have 16 figs in an average infantry unit, not 24
4. I'd argue slightly smaller units can provide a better game experience at times because the smaller unit "footprints" give me more room to maneuver
anyway, something to think about at any scale
- Walt

Chaingun

Post by Chaingun »

Cheers Mark, great insight to basing for me to think about. The project is my local gaming group are looking to start here in the U.K.

Walt - that is definitely something to ponder over mate and I think you have a point, but again all this useful information I can take back to the group and what they think.

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

You can always do 16-man battalions to start with, and expand them to 24-man ones later.

Personally, I would try to sort the basing so it works for both Sharp Practice AND General d'Armee.

Thus, skirmishers based individually but attached magnetically to three-man sabots (Sure, they use six-man sabots in the Beasts vids, but three-man ones actually work better in both systems.)
Officers, musicians and standard bearers arranged so they work in both systems.

SP is great in the early days of your project as you need barely 1/3 of the figures of a small GdA army.

vlad48

Post by vlad48 »

Contrarius makes a great point. As long as you do the facings and trim the same colours, you can paint batches of 48 figs with 4 to a stand - and then choose to have 3 4-stand battalions or 2 6-stand battalions depending on your space and needs