British Infantry Countercharge, difference in wording

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

bigduke1327

British Infantry Countercharge, difference in wording

Post by bigduke1327 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:25 pm

Gents,

While going through the rules for our Waterloo game I noticed that under the "British Army Optional Rules" (page 99) it states
British Infantry Counter-Charge
Defending British Infantry may immediately Counter-Charge following an enemy Column Charge that received Volley and Unformed result.
but looking today for something else I noticed in the "Charge Results Definition" (page 49) the "Column" bit is left out
5. British Infantry Counter-Charge.
The lead defending British Infantry unit may immediately Counter-Charge if an attacker becomes Unformed and the player wishes to do so.
Just wondered which way people play it, if for example a French Infantry unit in Line charges and stops unformed, can the British unit counter-charge it?

Cheers, Mart

bellebsc

Re: British Infantry Countercharge, difference in wording

Post by bellebsc » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:43 pm

Hey Mart

This only happens in the charge phase so in the charge reactions you'll see that the only time they come unformed allowing the british to counter charge is when the enemy fail to charge home and stop to give a volley.

So it's the same ruling with just less words

bigduke1327

Post by bigduke1327 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:21 pm

Cheers,

yes but the point I was making is that on page 99 it specifically states "an enemy column charge" but on page 46 it doesn't mention columns (or any other formation), so does that mean British Infantry can counter-charge enemy infantry in line if they don't charge home.

Regards, Mart

bellebsc

Post by bellebsc » Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:53 pm

Ahhh as I never played the optional rule you make a valid point. So in normal rules are you not allowed to counter charge if the enemy is in column? Interesting question Mart.

bigduke1327

Post by bigduke1327 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:08 pm

Hi mate, no if you play the wording on page 99
British Infantry can ONLY countercharge Infantry charging them if they fail to charge home and are unformed AND the enemy are IN COLUMN

If you play page 46
Defending British Infantry can countercharge Infantry IN ANY FORMATION charging them if they fail to charge home and are unformed

So either way they can countercharge enemy in column, but page 46 would allow a countercharge if the enemy are in ANY formation

Mart

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:23 pm

Never noticed that before. The general rule on page 46 allows the British to counter-charge an unformed attacker irrespective of the attackers formation which to my understanding accords with British tactical doctrine and that's how I've always played it.

The optional rule on page 99 would seem to limit the possibility of a counter-charge only against attacking Columns as you say. To be honest that's how the French usually attack so the question has never come up in our games.

The rule on page 99 is optional so it's up to you and your opponent whether you want to apply that restriction.

John

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:07 pm

M,

The British infantry may counter-charge an opponent in any formation.

(P99 was an earlier iteration.)

DB