General D'Armee for the AWI

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

j1mwallace

General D'Armee for the AWI

Post by j1mwallace » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:29 am

We tried an experiment last night using GDA instead of Black Powder. I have to say the rules played extremely well and extremely fast almost "out of the tin".3 a side . Reasonably large battle.About 18 units a side. We didn't have any issues. We'll try again next week with an assault .
All in all a good conclusion. No columns though !!

EQUITES

Re: General D'Armee for the AWI

Post by EQUITES » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:35 pm

Hi Wallace,
what house rules you have used for AWI with GDA ?
Michele

vlad48

Post by vlad48 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:47 pm

Yes Wallace, what house rules? For example, did you largely eliminate skirmish lines or did you use light infantry in place of skirms. Please share your experience.
- Walt

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:37 pm

Hi Jim,
Sounds like a very interesting experiment. I'm also curious to hear more about the experience and any changes you made. Could we ask for more of an AAR next time you play?

As well as the treatment of skirmish screens I would expect there would also need to be amendments to the cavalry rules assuming you used any. I'd also be curious about the best way to represent militia.

John

j1mwallace

Post by j1mwallace » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:08 pm

We used standard skirmish rules for the British.For the Americans we used the skirmish rules but had units of skirmishers as if they were French lights,Grenzers etc. Cavalry were small units , 6-8 hits to discourage charging infantry frontally . Also limited in number of units .
Militia as recruits . Continentals as line . British as veteran line. Hessians as line . No columns!!
Cavalry all second line but we gave the Americans a +1 as their cavalry generally behaved better .
We are playing again on Tuesday . Ill do a bit of an AAR. As i've said we did have a lengthy discussion after the game. None of the guys had any complaints or thought anything was broken

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:19 pm

Thanks for the further clarifications Jim.

My only thoughts would be to limit the brigade skirmish screen for both sides since the British usually consolidated their light companies into ad hoc light battalions rather than using them as they did in the Napoleonic Wars. So playing them as Legere or Grenzer seems right.

For cavalry I would drop the requirement for infantry in line to take a Discipline Test when charged for regulars on both sides but leave it for militia not in cover. I'd also be tempted to give regulars in line the +2 bonus usually given to columns when charged by cavalry. That should further discourage any attempts by cavalry to charge such units frontally. However, you may feel that you can rely on the players not do so.

Looking forward to your further reports.

John

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:48 am

Wallace,

Really interesting - would love to see a full AAR and rules comments if possible?

DB

grompix

Post by grompix » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:35 am

Inspired by Jim Wallace (and as a result of an all-too-brief but interesting meeting with him at the 'Battleground' Show in Stockton last month) our club has also 'had a go' at using Gd'A for the AWI conflict.
How hard could it be? we thought. But what started out as a few notes on a couple of sides of A4 rapidly expanded to eight!
Still, not too bad for such a different conflict compared to the grander scope of Napoleonic Battles that Gd'A is designed for.
Here are some pics of our test game we played a couple of weeks ago: -
https://photos.app.goo.gl/tnJAFJcxUyZ1wWeA2
...and the write-up of the notes we made during the battle (just scroll down to 'General d'Armee' AWI) : -
https://sites.google.com/site/borderrei ... Home/files
They seemed to work very well and no-doubt we will be adding to them from time to time (at least until DB brings out an official Gd'A AWI set - hint hint! ;) )
Hope others might find them useful.
We will be doing a quick reference sheet for these AWI amendments and I'll put this up on our website too if DB has no objections (I certainly don't want to tread on any toes regards copyright etc).
Chris ;)
Border Reivers Wargames Society

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:47 am

C,

Fine by me!

Perhaps one could introduce a rule to slow infantry advances, covering dressing the ranks and so on, such as a lower score DR (Dress Ranks) result in the casualty tables. It would play out similar to the DT, with Elites and Open Order passing more easily, whereas those Hessians and French may have a slightly harder time of it! (Or simply converge DRs and DTs into a one off test to cover both dressing ranks and significant formation disorder?)

DB

grompix

Post by grompix » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:59 pm

That sounds like a very good idea DB.
I'll have a play around with that and perhaps have time to do a quick test game at our club tonight.
Many thanks for that.
Chris
Border Reivers Wargames Society