Artillery brigades in test game

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Artillery brigades in test game

Postby bvera » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:45 pm

We have played our second game today using the test game of the book
I have a question regarding the independent artillery brigades (bothe French and Russian)
They seem not having a brigadier but standing on their own; how can they be activated?
Should they be attached before the agme starts to any infantry brigade in order to be activated?
Rhanks
Benito
...and visit my blog! http://mylardiesgames.blogspot.com.es/
bvera

Re: Artillery brigades in test game

Postby Archdukek » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:10 pm

Hi Benito,
Artillery brigades don't need a brigadier to be activated, they simply take a Brigade Command test like any other brigade to see if they obey orders or are Hesitant. (See Brigade Command Rolls on page 34.)
In terms of the rules you never actually activate a brigadier, though it is very natural to think of the test in that way, it's the brigade you test for.

Personally I think divisional artillery should usually be attached out to the brigades rather than held as some kind of "Grand battery" in an Artillery Brigade, however practice did vary. Both the main rules and the scenario rules make clear that you always have the option to attach out the batteries if you choose.

John
Archdukek

Postby bvera » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:27 pm

Thanks for thi
I should understand then that when operating a indeoendent brigade, ADCs can be assigned to order assault fire or as brigade attachemnt to reroll activation dice, etc
Benito
...and visit my blog! http://mylardiesgames.blogspot.com.es/
bvera

Postby Archdukek » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:16 pm

bvera wrote:Thanks for thi
I should understand then that when operating a indeoendent brigade, ADCs can be assigned to order assault fire or as brigade attachemnt to reroll activation dice, etc

Yes that's correct. You post ADCs to brigades as it says on page 30 and place them next to the brigade, brigadier or CinC as necessary.

If it helps avoid confusion you could always assign an officer figure to control the combined artillery batteries. That was pretty common.

John
Archdukek

Postby EQUITES » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:00 pm

John wrote :
"Personally I think divisional artillery should usually be attached out to the brigades rather than held as some kind of "Grand battery" in an Artillery Brigade, however practice did vary. Both the main rules and the scenario rules make clear that you always have the option to attach out the batteries if you choose."

About this matter I noted that players prefer to have Artillery Brigade rather than to assign the batteries to brigades in order to get one ADC more.....
:)
Michele
EQUITES

Postby c0cky30 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:14 am

To encourage the attaching you could rule that artillery batteries do not generate an ADC.
c0cky30

Postby DCRBrown » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:32 am

C30,

Re: To encourage the attaching you could rule that artillery batteries do not generate an ADC.

MMmmmmm.....goood point...will ponder on this.

DB
DCRBrown

Postby Archdukek » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:39 pm

c0cky30 wrote:To encourage the attaching you could rule that artillery batteries do not generate an ADC.

I agree with cocky on this. It's always struck me as a little odd that a concentration of the divisional artillery generates an additional command resource in the form of an ADC rather than costing some staff resources to manage it.

John
Archdukek

Postby nikjen66 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:39 am

On a similar thought, we have found that many of the current GdB scenario orbits need a lot of thought as some of them have artillery 'brigades'.

We've also found that some structured such as 1813 onwards Prussian brigades being huge and often fighting alongside only one or two other brigades, this reducing the ADC availability so making assault, forwards, bombardments orders infrequent but at the same time making activation of large numbers of troops pretty much guaranteed. Compare this to their Russian allues with lots of 'nippy' little brigades and loads of ADCs!

Just a thought. Still love the rules and the covariant frustration that ADC and Activation creates, especially when it affects the forces of evil!!! Lol

Nick
nikjen66

Postby Archdukek » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:55 am

Hi Nick,
I think you really need to look on those large Prussian brigades as divisions under the rules and subdivide them appropriately. I recall that DB may have commented to that effect either here or on the GdB Forum.

Similarly, while technically the Russians might qualify for lots of ADCs I can't say that their historic command structure would support that and some reduction might be appropriate.

These examples both illustrate why designing a scenario for GDA needs a bit more thought than just translating an OOB or using a scenario produced for other rules onto the tabletop.

John
Archdukek

Next

Return to General d'Armee