Artillery Batter

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Artillery Batter

Postby Fairfax » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:10 am

Hi All

I hope this has not been covered earlier, but yesterday we encountered a question regarding artillery batteries which I hope you can answer.

This is only our third game so please bear with me.

We were playing Austrian v French and the Armies were four brigades each. Each brigade in turn had an artillery battery attached as per their OB.

Question: can you give an attached battery an artillery assault fire order if the brigade to which it is attached had already been given another order?

My view was that the attached battery had to follow the same order as the brigade to which it belonged and that an artillery assault fire order would have to be given to a separately constituted battery which would be treated as a brigade in itself for orders purposes with a commander and ADC.

Therefore the attached batteries would have to be detached from their brigades to form a combined battery with others or simply stand alone as a brigade in their on right. This however didn't seem right because a player could then artificially increase his number of ADC's.

Thoughts would be welcome please.

Cheers
Keith
Fairfax

Re: Artillery Batter

Postby Archdukek » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:04 am

Hi Keith,
As far as I can see there is no restriction in the rules in giving an attached battery an Artillery Assault tasking while the brigade have another tasking or order, beyond the additional cost in ADCs. Nor can I think of any reason why you would want to impose such a restriction. Some of the examples in the rules involve multiple taskings.

It would make good sense to me for a Brigade on Infantry Assault orders to receive Artillery Assault on any attached battery to represent the artillery redoubling its efforts to bombard the enemy prior to the Infantry assault being made for example.

John
Archdukek

Postby Fairfax » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:11 am

Hi John
Thanks for your comments. I can see the sense in what you say.
I have not been able to find anything in the rules to prevent the attached battery being given an order of its own, I just instinctively thought it could not.
It seemed the same as giving an individual battalion a different order to the brigade of which it formed part.
Perhaps not a good example because a battalion forms part of the brigade whereas artillery is attached from another arm.
You are of course quite correct in that such an order would involve the use of precious ADCs.
Cheers
Keith
Fairfax

Postby Archdukek » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:58 am

Hi Keith,
If it helps think of the ADC tasking as an order or prompt to the brigadier, rather than the battery, giving him the CinC's authority to allow his attached battery to use up precious ammunition aggressively attacking the enemy.

John
Archdukek

Re: Artillery Battery

Postby Fairfax » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:41 pm

Hi John
Yes that does help, thanks.
Maybe I was playing the rules rather than the period.
Thanks for your helpful contribution, much appreciated.
Cheers
Keith
Fairfax

Return to General d'Armee