Basing? Help Needed

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

hayeswauford

Basing? Help Needed

Post by hayeswauford » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:27 pm

So I know this one gets worn out but I wanted to decide now if I need to rebase :-(

I have purchased some collections with a variety of 4 figs and 6 figs to a stand for infantry regiments.

Althought slighty more cumbersome than counting bases- IF I was to label the regiments with something like "6 STANDS" even if it was 4 stands of 6 figs, would that be workable? Basically use a 4 figs/stand ratio and label units accordingly regardless of actual physical bases.

Having not played PC yet it seems that the only counting is of bases/stands and not figures. Also no stands come off board due to losses. So as long as I label appropriately I should be ok? Fortunately the frontage/figure is pretty close so width of units should be fine.

Thanks for your help!

john de terre neuve

Re: Basing? Help Needed

Post by john de terre neuve » Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:25 pm

I think what is important is the physical footprint of each unit and that both sides have the same footprint. I do think that a small regiment should have a proportionally smaller footprint then a standard regiment and likewise a large regiment should be be proportionally sized in respect to a standard regiment.

The bases that make up the foot print should be of a minimum number to differentiate between line and column and possibly attack columns.

Aside from that the game is basing agnostic.

All my bases are 25x25mm for 15mm troops, all have 4 figures to a base: 4 bases for small, 6 for standard and 8 for large. But that is my scheme anyother scheme will do.

John

hayeswauford

Re: Basing? Help Needed

Post by hayeswauford » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:16 pm

john de terre neuve wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:25 pm
I think what is important is the physical footprint of each unit and that both sides have the same footprint. I do think that a small regiment should have a proportionally smaller footprint then a standard regiment and likewise a large regiment should be be proportionally sized in respect to a standard regiment.

The bases that make up the foot print should be of a minimum number to differentiate between line and column and possibly attack columns.

Aside from that the game is basing agnostic.

All my bases are 25x25mm for 15mm troops, all have 4 figures to a base: 4 bases for small, 6 for standard and 8 for large. But that is my scheme anyother scheme will do.

John
Thank you John! Yes i wish I had 4 to a base for all mine but dont relish rebasing hundreds of 40mm figures! ;-)

I think I will give the labelling a try and just use the 4 figures=stand/base and see how it goes. The footprint will change from small to large, etc.

Thank you!