PC or TCHAE?

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

shandy

PC or TCHAE?

Post by shandy » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:33 am

Hi,

I've been playing ACW with Sharp Practice this far, but it seems I can't stop painting ACW figures, so I decided to branch out to larger actions. Nothing too large - I want to do the Battle of Olustee as a starter (USCT being a special interest of mine), which only includes three small brigades (plus some cavalry and artillery) on the Union side and about the same for the Confederates. At the moment, I don't plan to go any larger...

So, my question would be, what rules would you recommend for that level of action? TCHAE seem to be geared toward that size of engagement; I had the impression that PC might be best at larger battles, but I might be wrong. What do you think? What would you recommend?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Thomas

P.S.: I would have to do some tweaking with the bases anyway, as my figures are based individually on sabot bases (for SP), but I guess this won't be a problem.

Dragoon

Re: PC or TCHAE?

Post by Dragoon » Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:10 pm

PC is designed for a figure ratio of 20 : 1 so all you need is an order of battle giving battalion strength.
Depending on table size a brigade strength engagement could be fought on a 6x4 table.
SP is for up to a figure ratio of 10 : 1 but it would just as easily play with larger unit groups..
You could try change all measurement to centimetres and keep unit groups the same sizes.
But the best I have seen is "Fire and Fury Regimental" it really plays well for smaller actions and probably large actions.

Fat Wally

Post by Fat Wally » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:41 am

Horses for courses.

Personally, I dislike Fire and Fury Regt as to me it's a little bit micromanagement.

Having played multiple games of TCHAE and more recently PC, I can say that in my opinion the latter is far superior, and much more fun. I really like the mechanism of Staff Officers and rolling to find out if a brigade is under orders or hesitant. The rules seem to flow much better, and are set out better too.

Fat Wally

Post by Fat Wally » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:42 am

I've played very successful games of PC with three brigades per side and had lots of fun for up to three hours.

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:52 pm

I do not believe there is any figure ratio in Pickett's Charge. You do what you want but generally a standard sized infantry regiment is 5-6 bases while a large is 7-8 bases. How you populate the bases is totally up to you. The same works for cavalry.

Generally a small battle would have at least 2-3 brigades (this will be limiting in respect to command and control options) per side with 2-6 regiments per brigade.

John

shandy

Post by shandy » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:06 pm

Thanks guys!

I now tend towards PC and have ordered a copy, however as TCHAE is available as a pdf for a very fair price, I also got a copy :)
Fat Wally, I really like your AAR on your blog, great stuff! And I also use Peter Pig figures.

Looking forward to trying the rules - I still have to paint up a lot of figures though...