Retire move and off-table questions

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

john de terre neuve

Retire move and off-table questions

Post by john de terre neuve »

When a unit is forced to retire, I am presuming it can choose it path to move 30cm and not be forced to interpenetrate a unit directly behind within 10cm, like a whipped move.

A unit is forced to retire but it is on a table edge, does it just leave the table or does it move along the table edge away from the enemy, I do note that one of the definitions of dispersed is leaving the table. I have always found end of the world [edge of table] rules a little tricky. In the case sited the unit if it had to go straight back according to it's facing, it would have left the table but it could of moved laterally away from the enemy towards it's linee.

There is no true voluntary withdrawal mechanism in the ruleset for a force (ie. to leave the battle as defeat is imminent). We are playing a campaign so keeping units as intact as possible for the next game is important. Looking through the rules, we have this:
Retiring: All units may opt to voluntarily retire. This is a swift move to
the rear ending up facing the enemy and as such the unit is unformed after the manoeuvre. Artillery may only conduct a voluntary retire when limbered
I think using this to withdraw an army is reasonable until they go off the table. Agree?

Thanks,

John

john de terre neuve

Re: Retire move and off-table questions

?DCRBROWN

DCRBrown

Post by DCRBrown »

J,

One rule we use to overcome the edge of the world syndrome is to always permit a unit to halt at the table edge, regardless of how far they have retired.

If they rally up next turn all well and good, if not then they are off.

And if you are withdrawing your army, then apply the same rule perhaps, halt at the table edge and as long as the unit is not routing it may then retire off table to safety.

DB

john de terre neuve

many thanks!