Unformed

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe, DCRBrown

john de terre neuve

Unformed

Post by john de terre neuve »

Hi,

I continously confuse movement and maneuver, probably because I separate them in my mind while they are actually one in the same.

An unformed unit can neither move or maneuver....correct until it reforms in the movement phase of a turn and then of course would have to wait for the next turn?

We were recently playing a game and allowed a regular unformed unit to reform and maneuver into line in the same phase. I believe we played this incorrectly.

Thanks,

John

Archdukek

Re: Unformed

Post by Archdukek »

Hi John,
The definition of Unformed on page 66 and elsewhere says that the unit has lost order and formation(my emphasis). So the act of reforming will mean it forming up into whatever formation the player wishes as far as I can see. That’s certainly the case when Whipped units rally (see paragraph f on page 67).

I think you played it correctly.

John

john de terre neuve

Thanks John, so essentially during the Movement phase an unformed unit could form into line, column or skirmish etc etc but could not engage in any movement except maybe about face (not sure about that one)?

John

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi John,
Unlike GDA there are no movement restrictions on Unformed units in Pickett’s Charge (see Unformed page 48). So they could move in the Movement phase but would remain unformed. They can even charge the enemy if they wish but will be penalised when doing so.
If they stay still they can reform in whichever formation the player wishes, facing in whatever direction they want as far as I can see.

John

john de terre neuve

Thanks John, I think I have it now.