Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Does PC have a points system?

Postby morrisbh » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:52 pm

Hi,
I was wondering if PC had a points system and army lists? Cheers
morrisbh

Re: Does PC have a points system?

Postby DCRBrown » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:37 am

Yes, a points sytsem is provided in the rules.

DB
DCRBrown

Postby Dragoon » Mon May 01, 2017 11:59 pm

Is the points cost of generals calculated in relation to all their control abilities or is it a best guess from experience?
I'm not being difficult, it's something I've been trying to work out for a campaign game (solo).
The club I was with in the early 70's played Jackson's valley campaign and PC is giving me the chance to play it again..
Dragoon

Postby DCRBrown » Tue May 02, 2017 10:02 am

D,

See below:

C-in-C POINTS COSTS:
Auspicious (Excellent) = 150.
West Pointer (Average) = 100.
Politician (Below Par!) = 50.

Players grade their C-in-C's as above, the players either select a grade according to the particular scenario/campaign or it can be simply diced for.

A similar rule system also applies to Corps Commanders.

DB
DCRBrown

Postby Dragoon » Tue May 02, 2017 8:21 pm

Hi Dave,
Yes, I get that from the rules.
I mean that the increment of 50 points seams coincidental. for instance does a 150 point General give a 100 points worth of extra benefit compared to taking 100 points worth of Veteran Infantry or is a 50 point general something that you wouldn't take at minus 50 points (I've played Austrian with The Arch Duke Johan and I felt more like a spectator for the first two moves.
Throwing 1 on a D10 twice in a row but it can't happen again, perhaps.
Dragoon

Postby DCRBrown » Thu May 04, 2017 7:46 pm

D,

Equating a command advantage to a benefit gained by an additional regiment is not really a straightforward or a direct comparison. However what superior command will do is potentially provide one extra Staff Officer per turn, therefore the odds are in your favour of having better command and control, and/or being able to "afford" the more expensive command options in terms of Staff Officers, while your opponent will not, regardless of his extra regiment.

So, Staff Officer taskings such as artillery assault, double quick and even rally can be ordered more easily, and sometimes its those advantages that will win the game, it's of course, never guaranteed but it certainly helps!

A poor or politician general is certainly not utterly useless and will still be able to exercise command, (bearing in mind that you do not need Staff Officers to order brigades to "activate"/obey orders - they all have a an independent command roll regardless of their C-in-C). Though as expected the chances of ordering those more expensive command options will be rarer, so you'll probably need to be more restricted in your plan, nothing too ambitious, perhaps just find a good defence position and hold the enemy off, rather than trying to outmanoeuvre him with fancy tactics. So, even with a politician general you certainly won't be a spectator!

DB
DCRBrown

Postby Dragoon » Tue May 09, 2017 8:23 pm

Thanks Dave,
I've got it,
It will save me time planning a campaign.

Mike Leese
Dragoon

Return to Pickett's Charge