Section / Team dice?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

RichardD

Section / Team dice?

Post by RichardD » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:10 am

Hello! Anyone still play this?

Quick question on splitting up a section into teams - does each team receive 3 initiative dice (6 in total), or would the 3 section dice have to be divided amongst the two teams?

If I split up a section should I replace it's card with separate MG / Rifle team cards in the deck?

Thanks for the help!
Richard

RichardD

Re: Section / Team dice?

Post by RichardD » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:06 am

Another question (in the hope someone answers)

What's the interplay between a Section card and a Big Man card?
In Sharp Practice a Big Man can activate a Group - that gets 2 action dice

In TW&T I'm a bit confused. Sections get 3 dice on their card, but can't move. Big Men get Initiative and can order Sections and Teams.

Does a Big Man giving an order activate that Section/Team and give them their 3 dice?
i.e. I draw a Section Leader card - he orders a Bren team to fire with 2 dice (and adds one of his Iniative for an extra dice) and a Rifle team to move with 1 dice - using up all 3 of the Sections dice. Is that the right way to do it?

Thanks! I know TW&T has largely been superceded by CoC but I prefer cards for solo play, and I was using blinds anyway (from Platoon Forward) so felt TW&T was a good fit. I like the IABSM-style firing table too.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:18 am

Richard,
I haven't played TWAT but I have played IABSM which shares some of the characteristics. I have the rules so I took a look at them in the light of your questions.

As I read the rules, I think they answer to your questions lies in paragraph 3.1 Unit Initiative Dice on page 16 which clearly states that each team within a section has 3 dice. The section does not have 3 dice to split, each team has its own dice. So you could fire the MG team using 3 dice while using the rifle team's 3 dice to spot, but you couldn't fire the MG with 6 dice.

I can see no reason to substitute separate cards if you split the section up. Both teams simply activate on the section card when it is drawn.

The Big Men are crucial in getting a section to do something other than spot or fire, specifically getting them to move. When a Big Man card comes up he can activate the section and basically tell it what he wants it to do with the 3 initiative dice each of its teams have. So, using your example, he could order the Bren team to fire using all 3 of their initiative dice and the rifle team to move using their 3 initiative dice if unengaged. Assuming of course that the Big Man has enough Tactical Initiatives to do both.

This is one reason why if a section card is drawn first you might want to reserve the use of its initiative dice until later in the turn in the hope that you draw a Big Man card and can better coordinate its actions.

Hope these comments help.

Personally I think that Chain of Command can work well for solo play and there is an article in one of the TFL Specials by Joe Legan on how it can be integrated with Platoon Forward which would still allow the use of blinds to keep the exact nature of your opposing force hidden.

Also if you don't already have it you might want to take a look at IABSM. While the rules are at a different level and have been developed further than TWAT, I think it may be a better source for comparison to aid understanding than Sharp Practice.

John

RichardD

Post by RichardD » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:28 pm

Thanks John! That makes a a lot of sense. I've read through IABSM but never played.

I have CoC and the PF addition in the special - I found the patrol phase to be quite awkward solo. I also wanted to try with cards to 'automate' activations a bit. Yet to get a game in but I will see how it compares to CoC solo

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:49 pm

Yes I agree that it can be difficult to produce any surprises in the Patrol phase, you have to play each side as best you can.

One option I have thought about but never tried is to give the defenders a couple of dummy Patrol markers and start the process with the defenders markers already placed on the table to represent advance outposts and just manoeuvre the attacker's patrol markers. The dummy's can still lockdown the attacker but can't be used to determine a JOP. Just an idea.

John