Another query

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Sgt Steiner

Re: Another query

Post by Sgt Steiner » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:43 pm

Hi

Revisting the Spotting query (yet again) i now read under spotting rules that it clearly says spotting ONLY occurs vs Blinds or areas of terrain that may hide units ??

Am once again unclear that units can be deployed but Unspotted as the covering terrain is surely just another form of blind ? Again waters muddied as regards the +1 for spotting firing units ?

What is "a significant posetive factor" that guves +1 to hit vs AFVs? Bionic eyes :-)

Cheers

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:45 pm

I suggest you read the discussion about the Fire Table on page 6 which describes the philosophy of the Kriegspeil style of approach to determining how good a shot might be. The +1 and -1 for a significant positive or negative factor in the Direct Fire table in 8.1 has a similar philosophy behind it. It's up to you and your opponent to agree what might be significant.

An AFV target silhouetted against the skyline on a hill crest or emerging from a smoke screen might attract a +1 to hit for example.

John

Edit: Meant to add that I consider an hidden enemy unit which has deployed voluntarily to fire as qualifying as an "area of terrain that may hide unspotted units." So it needs to be Spotted before you can fire at it.

Sgt Steiner

Post by Sgt Steiner » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:51 pm

Hi John

Thanks again for prompt reply

Skylining and emerging from smoke seem reasonable

Still not sure ref the Spotting rules to be honest as not clearly spelt out.

And yes we now have a number of 'house' rulings to cover some of the ambiguities we have encountered :-)

Ta again