Bren carriers.

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Cerebus

Bren carriers.

Post by Cerebus » Sat May 26, 2018 5:59 pm

As most of my figures come from when I was amassing a force for FoW (only played it once, too much rules checking during the game), I have 8 bren carriers sitting around not doing anything. Has anybody got any idea what I can use them for? Is there a particular company that would need 8 bren carriers. How many would I need to cart around a full infantry platoon?

Archdukek

Re: Bren carriers.

Post by Archdukek » Sat May 26, 2018 6:52 pm

Bren carriers can be used as transport for the battalion mortars or tows for the AT guns, but they don't have the capacity to transport a full infantry platoon from a rifle company, that wasn't their purpose. British Rifle platoons travelled in trucks or in rare cases half-tracks.

You could use them as the basis of a battalion's carrier platoon to support your rifle company. However, you would need 13 carriers in total, 1 for the platoon commander and 4 sections each of 3 carriers. Each section can dismount to provide an 8 man rifle section with 2 LMGs, a 2 man PIAT team and a 2 man 2" mortar team. Quite a potent little force to seize advanced positions or cover retreats. You will find the details in the Battle for Liberation Handbook.

John

Cerebus

Re: Bren carriers.

Post by Cerebus » Sun May 27, 2018 7:17 pm

I like the idea of a carrier platoon and I can see a few seize and hold missions coming up. Looks like I may have to get another 5 carriers. They painted up quite nice so not a problem. Thanks for the advice John.