Blinds, how to use them.

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Gunner

Blinds, how to use them.

Post by Gunner » Sat May 12, 2018 7:07 pm

Excuse my ignorance, thinking of playing this game, but don’t quite understand blinds. I playC of C and Sharp Practice so am familiar with game mechanics. Would be grateful of help understanding blinds.

Archdukek

Re: Blinds, how to use them.

Post by Archdukek » Sat May 12, 2018 8:54 pm

A tabletop in IABSM covers a much larger area of the battlefield than either CoC or SP.
The Blinds in IABSM are a means of keeping troops hidden either in defence or as they advance on the enemy. They are also used for movement out of contact with the enemy when your own troops can be more easily controlled by the Big Men leading them. Think of them as troops moving up into position if attacking who require to be spotted by the defenders before fire can be brought to bear. Defenders for their part can be hidden in appropriate terrain and their positions must be identified before an attack can be successfully mounted.

For an attacker each platoon starts on a Blind which will be moved when the Blind card is turned. Once spotted you place the troops on the table. For defenders they may start on blinds if they are moving or can be hidden in the terrain. They also need to be spotted before they can be brought under fire.

Troops on blinds can try to spot the enemy but cannot fire unless you reveal the troops and place them on the table. So blinds are usually only used in the opening turns of the game.

John

Sgt Steiner

Post by Sgt Steiner » Mon May 21, 2018 11:16 pm

Hi John

I am struggling with how to use Blinds in relation to Deck
I am confused as to how play operates when one or more blinds is revealed in that this then puts several more cards into the deck and Blinds card much less likely to appear ?
Not sure I have explained properly but when just 2 blinds cards and 1/2 tea breaks it's simple enough but once one side has say 2 Platoon cards and couple of Big Men cards and may e an AFV card I am confused as to how to utilise Blinds?
Is it better to deploy off a Blind ASAP in order to 'flood' the deck ??

Your thoughts would be appreciated as this is one thing stopping me enjoying IABSM more

Vis Bellica

Post by Vis Bellica » Tue May 22, 2018 6:32 am

And here you have one of the key tactical decisions in IABSM: when to deploy from Blinds onto the tabletop. The longer you leave it (as the enemy adds cards to the pack) the longer it takes for your Blinds card to appear, but the longer your intentions are concealed and the longer your units are capable of faster movement/extra Actions.

So it is quite right that that decision is causing you some concern, and also why the Skelton Gambit optional rule should not be used.

I could write an essay on the subject, but it's probably better just to play some games through really thinking about the matter.

For example, flooding the deck is a great tactic if you need to move your units into position before starting your attack or readying your defense: although it reveals your forces, it effectively pins your opponent whilst you move.

If on the defense, you can stay concealed, relying on the enemy to use his Actions to reveal you, leaving all your Actions for firing. Yes, you might take an initial volley, but the enemy have used Actions to spot you, reducing their effectiveness, whereas your troops can act with four Actions, allowing either a maximum shoot or a spot and shoot etc.

Finally, don't forget you can conceal a Blind with another unit. It can be a bit fiddly, but try moving a Blind up behind a deployed unit. Example: a line of three tanks moves up in front of a Blind concealing a platoon of infantry. The two approach a trench. The occupants of the trench shoot at the tanks, your Blind then bursts through the tanks and hits the no-Actions-left troops in the trench with an awesome charge!

Afterword: don't forget that sometimes Big Men can activate a Blind, meaning you don't always have to wait for the Blinds card to appear.

Hope that helps

R

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Tue May 22, 2018 9:12 am

Hi Sgt,

Robert has given you some excellent advice there. My advice would be to stop worrying about the composition of the deck and base your decision on the tactical situation.
Does it make sense to reveal the troops under the Blind at this moment?
Do I need them to engage the enemy and does that need outweigh the risks of revealing their presence and exposing them to enemy fire?
Does the need outweigh the greater freedom to act of being on a blind?

For what it's worth the probability of any one particular card being drawn before the Tea Break card remains at 50% irrespective of the number of cards in the deck, assuming you are using 1 Tea Break card or 66% using 2. Like any other card there are only two possibilities for the Blind Card in any Turn, either it is drawn before Tea Break or it is not, the fact that other cards have been drawn is irrelevant. Even if there are 3 or 10 other cards in the deck the chance of the Blind card coming out remains the same at 50%. Flooding the deck doesn't affect it.

What deploying off a Blind does do in terms of cards is usually to insert two cards, or possibly more into the deck, namely the Platoon Card and any relevant Big Man card. The probability of either being drawn remains at 50% but having two cards does improve the possibility that at least some of the troops concerned can be activated.

Keeping units on Blinds on the other hand allows for greater coordination between them. If both Platoon 1 and its supporting armour platoon are on Blinds then you know with certainty that you will be able to move and activate both when the Blind card is drawn. If you deploy them and substitute their platoon cards then that certainty is removed, friction increases and you become dependent on both the cards coming out in the right order to carry out your master plan. Or quite possibly the armour will race ahead of the infantry or fail to turn up when needed as was the way in war.

So you have to stop worrying about the deck. Learn to live with uncertainly, keep your plans simple and flexible enough to cope with what Fate (in the shape of the card deck) and the enemy will through at you, seize opportunities when they arise and enjoy it when a plan comes together, but never assume it will. But most importantly PLAY THE GAME!

Hope that helps,

John

Sgt Steiner

Post by Sgt Steiner » Tue May 22, 2018 4:39 pm

Hi chaps

Two great replies generating much food for thought.
Indeed just "play the game" may be the ultimate advice :-)

Cheers

kula66

Post by kula66 » Sat May 26, 2018 7:23 am

Very insightful posts, thanks gents.