Close combat and recon units break off

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Darren

Close combat and recon units break off

Post by Darren » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:57 pm

Hi All,

I've come across situations where a single section or FOO has been force to fight a close combat they had no hope of winning; and where their historical counterparts in a real combat situation would have withdrawn rather than be annihilated of no good purpose.

I've been considering allow a defending Section/s to withdraw rather than stand and fight. The defending section/s would be required to use all there action to move away from the attacker; this movement would count as the sction/s activation for the current turn. Each section/s that withdrew would receive one point of shock. The attacker would win the close combat be able to occupy the position vacated by the withdrawing section/s without using an action and fire with any remaining actions at any eligible target.

Any section/s that do withdraw do not have the option to fire to the attcker as they are too concerned with getting to safety.

Similarly, recon units would be able to withdraw if they are fired at or are in close combat range. Close combat would the same as mentioned above. With firing, the target must state its intention to withdraw before the unit shooting at the recon unit fires. The shooting unit would fire with one action with result being applied immediately. The target recon unit would then withdraw using all its action; or, use one action to fire smoke discharges then use the remaining action to move. The unit firing at the recon could use its remain action to fire at any eligible target or occupy the position vacated by the withdrawing recon. The recon unit's withdrawal would count as their activation for the current turn. This is similar to what recon units can do in Flames of war.

I think this adds realism. But also another level of complexity.

I would like to hear what other people think.

Regards
Darren

kula66

Re: Close combat and recon units break off

Post by kula66 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:33 pm

I think as a commander, you should have got the team out earlier (using the normal rules mechanism). If you wait until the enemy is within grenade/CC range (to get a few more turns of artillery FOO'ing for instance), then try and make a run for it you deserve to get shot to bits!

Darren

Post by Darren » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:18 pm

Fair comment, what you're saying is true. There are sufficient mechanism in the rules to move troops.

I was thinking like a gamer not an Infantry commander. It is also a reflection of my lack of experience with the IABSM rules.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Darren

TroubleAtTheMill

Post by TroubleAtTheMill » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:33 pm

Definitely.

This is the WW2 analogue of (else-forum, not in a TFL ruleset) someone complaining that 'my infantry didn't manage to form square when charged'... in which it was gently pointed out that squares historically formed a wee bit before the approaching cavalry got up to a full gallop :D

Close combat's nasty. You shouldn't enter into it voluntarily without good odds - pinning your opponent first at least, in my books...

IanKH

Post by IanKH » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:28 am

With relation to the FOO. I would say that if they get involved with a close combat (where they are bound to lose) the result could be read that they have abandoned their post and lost their heavy radio equipment. And without that equipment they are effectively hors de combat - Like gunners without a gun.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:54 pm

I'd agree with the comments of others that this is something you need to plan ahead to avoid.

I have a little more sympathy with the recon/recce argument, but in that case it would probably be simpler and more consistent with the rules to let the recce unit reserve some actions when activated which it can use for movement, rather than just spotting or firing. That way it can try to get out of trouble, but if caught before it can activate that Turn its potentially in serious trouble.

John