Turn limit

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

tribollium

Turn limit

Post by tribollium »

Hi all

We have just played scenario 5d from the bennyville or bust book and none of the scenarios seem to have a turn limit . Do you play until one side is destroyed ,or do you set your own turn limit if so have you got any guidelines for working the number of turns out.

Cheers Dave (Just learning the rules)

topi

Re: Turn limit

Post by topi »

Hi,

Seeing that turn is around 1 minute, at least I feel that most turn limits would be quite artificial in a company level game - otherwise attacker is easily forced to make a shoddy job of recce. We usually play until it is clear that one side is defeated, someone gives up or scenario specific goals are reached. (Or real world is approaching silly o'clock.)

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

If you're playing the campaign, one of the primary concerns for both commanders should be force conservation. When I start it up, there's going to be re-enforcement limits and the next game will be played basically with what was left over from the last scenario.

tribollium

Post by tribollium »

Hi all I was only asking because in the game I had on sunday (5th game) 2 Tigers sat back and pummeled anything within visibility and did not need to advance.

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 »

I've come to the conclusion that if Tigers/Panthers get fielded, the other side gets air support, a Firefly, a M10 or M36, or something that makes the tanks unable to "sit and shoot". It's not any fun for the target side and too easy for the Tiger side.

Vis Bellica

Post by Vis Bellica »

tribollium wrote:Hi all I was only asking because in the game I had on sunday (5th game) 2 Tigers sat back and pummeled anything within visibility and did not need to advance.
Makes it testing for the Allies...because it was!

tribollium

Post by tribollium »

Yes , but not much of a game for the Germans .

topi

Post by topi »

Some spoilers mild about Blenneville 5D force compositions to follow:

Allies have unlimited number of arty missions so that can probably be used to make the big cats move - damage will accumulate over time and at least in my experience constant rain of artillery makes the opposing player edgy. Normally 2" mortars would be very nice for smoke screens, check if your arty has that option? (Not actually sure if 25pdrs can fire smoke missions?)

Also, British will start closer to the bridge, so should probably be able to gain control of it and then force the Gremans to attack. Forcing German armor to move is also nice because in many '44-'45 scenarios the "Vehicle breakdown" card is present. In general, against someone with long range direct fire superiority, try to force the fight to close range or to very limited fields of fire. Of course, much easier said that done :)