Infantry close assault against AFVs

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

topi

Infantry close assault against AFVs

Post by topi »

Hi,

When infantry is making a close assault on an AFV as per 8.4.5, how many actions does this cost? In usual case (strike 2) a single attack will probably fail to do anything, so is a squad allowed to make 1 attack per action, 1 attack using all actions, or something else?

Thanks!

Vis Bellica

Re: Infantry close assault against AFVs

Post by Vis Bellica »

Hi
I usually play that the squad's entire turn must be taken up with the close assault. That may involve using Actions to move into the 4" range, but the squad cannot do anything else except assault the AFV.

It can seem very hard to actually do any damage, but remember that it is easier to penetrate the flanks and/or rear, and most infantry squad assaults will lap around the vehicle rather than just being from the front.

Hope this helps

R

topi

Post by topi »

This got me searching for successfull infantry assaults with improvised weapons - cannot find many instances. Seeing how rare they apparently were (or how they netted VC, MoH or similar high award in many cases), I think your approach is good. We allowed 1 attack per action, but that is probably too much. Although, I think I would be tempted to say they cost 1 action, but no more than 1 may be done per turn, so attacker has some chance to run back to cover.

NTM

Post by NTM »

I seem to remember Rich posting a clarification of this a while back but cannot find it here so it must have been on the Yahoo group which I cannot access at the moment. Pretty sure it was multiple actions based on something like i) running up to tank ii) placing charge iii) running away again while iv) rest of team fire weapons, smoke grenades etc. to distract the tank crew

Jaime MMP

Post by Jaime MMP »

Following is the transcript from the relevant Q&A in the Yahoo group, slightly edited... hope it helps:

"Tank Killer Teams... how exactly do they attack? Presumably one action to lay smoke, one action to attack? Can they attack multiple times in a turn? Which table do we roll on? Is it the 'Infantry vs AFV' one that's used for PIATs, Panzerfausts?

ANSWER BY RICH:
The team uses its Actions independently. So one man can make smoke, another can move to within 4" of the AFV and attack. They use the strike factor shown on the Anti-Tank Weapons Table (the German one is on Page 81 of the main rules) or the specific strike factor for the weapon they are using if you are using one of the Handbooks.

FURTHER QUESTION
So it's an auto-hit if they are within range of the tank in question? What about when there is infantry supporting the tank?

ANSWER BY RICH:
Yes, if it is a hand-held mine placed on the AFV. If there are infantry supporting the tank you'll probably get shot. The German tank killers had one man to deploy smoke to blind the tank and separate it from any accompanying infantry, two men on an LMG to kill any tank riders, or at least drive them off, and one man to run forward and place the charge.

FURTHER QUESTIONS
Is it one action to attack with the hand held AT weapons and one action to lay smoke, or is the whole process above the entire turn of action for the team?

Also, if it automatically hits within 4" how can it be defended against? Presumably you need reserve dice to shoot them as they run at you?

ANSWER BY RICH:
Well, the truth is that it really depends on how your team is constructed. Really you need to break it down action by action for each man.

So, let's assume a two man LMG team, a smoke man and a madman with a magnetic mine.

1. LMG team fires as a two man team.
2. Smoke man deploys smoke.
3. Mad man uses action 1 and 2 to run forward (2D6) and place the mine (free) and the move 1D6 away (final action)."
Jaime

MILITARY MAXIM #11
The enemy diversion you are ignoring is the main attack