Gaming Clubs - Finding a Club - Making Friends etc

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

mathboytedward

Gaming Clubs - Finding a Club - Making Friends etc

Post by mathboytedward » Tue May 16, 2017 9:22 pm

Evening all,

I really like IABSM and would like to play it more, thing is it ain't exactly 40K (Or even FoW) and finding games is a nightmare :)

Anybody know of any UK clubs, or events that would accept newbies? Is there a list somewhere?

For context I'm a Midlander (UK), have car, would travel etc

Nellkyn

Re: Gaming Clubs - Finding a Club - Making Friends etc

Post by Nellkyn » Wed May 17, 2017 7:41 am

I'm not aware of a definitive list of UK wargames clubs, although one of the wargames magazines may have one. I'd suggest Googling local towns and 'wargames club'. For example in Coventry there's Scimitar Wargames Club. Drop any likely looking ones an email to see if there's anyone playing TFL games. I've found most clubs to be very welcoming but it's worth while checking that they play the sort of game you're looking for.

Also, try looking for local shows at http://partizan.org.uk/events.php. Pop along to see what's going on. You may be able to find a local club that way.

No matter what you do, best of luck.

Cerebus

Post by Cerebus » Wed May 17, 2017 1:38 pm

Grab a copy of Tabletop Gaming magazine (https://www.tabletopgaming.co.uk/). They have a section at the back which lists loads of clubs etc in different regions. Depending on your location you may well strike lucky. Then its just a matter of whether they play IABSM.

Edit: Just noticed that the Tabletop Gaming website has a club search function. Pick the Miniatures Games tab and then the Club tab.

I'm busy training my 10 yr old to play. Problem is he's got a good tactical brain in his head and he'll clobber me. At least I can send him to bed if he's in danger of beating me. :lol:

rim66

Post by rim66 » Wed May 17, 2017 4:55 pm

Miniature Wargames has a full list at the back but I'm afraid I don't have my copy to hand right now - I'll try and look later.

Kind regards,

Richard aka Monty Lardo

sackatatties

Post by sackatatties » Wed May 17, 2017 5:30 pm

The magazine lists usually have large holes in them. It's difficult to keep a paper listing up to date usually due to mixed submissions.

Try Facebook - it's probably your best bet. There is a group setup with pretty much all of the clubs in Scotland which is run by Derek Hodge (the perpetrator of Deep Fried Lard!).

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1783573 ... 0/?fref=nf

I suspect there will be one for the midlands or for England as a whole. It's easier to contact clubs and ask for a IABSM focus on Facebook as well. There is a group for IABSM although I don't know anything about it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2167039 ... f=mentions

Good Luck!

sjwalker51

Post by sjwalker51 » Wed May 17, 2017 7:49 pm

Where in the Midlands are you based? The knack is finding a club with historical gaming as well as GW/SF/Fantasy, especially as IABSM is rather niche (in a good way) compared to FoW, BA or even CoC.

The suggestion to visit a couple of local events (starting with Partizan this Sunday) to check out local clubs putting on demo games is an excellent one. It's how I tracked down local clubs when I moved up to South Yorkshire from Essex several years ago.

mathboytedward

Post by mathboytedward » Wed May 17, 2017 8:08 pm

Cheers for the suggestions guys, I'll do a bit of Facebook searching and maybe buy some *shudder* hardcopy. For a millennial like me, the idea of buying a magazine is a touch unsettling :)

RE my location; smack bang in the middle, near Coalville. I know a local club where they play lots of FoW, but from the little I've played this ain't that!

Hell I'm new to historical; maybe its an age thing :)

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Wed May 17, 2017 9:22 pm

As well as visiting game shows, you might want to keep your eyes open on here for any Lardy Games Days being organised in your vicinity. They are an opportunity to try out TFL rules in an amicable setting. Though having said that I don't know of any being held in the Midlands.

If all else fails IABSM works well solo because of the card activation system if you take a little care in handling the blinds for both sides. You can learn the basics of the rules that way and then if you are willing to do a bit of proselytising at the local Club you mentioned, you might find someone willing to give them a try.

I've introduced a number of TFL and other rules to my local Club by providing troops for both sides and running introductory games for all and sundry until somebody bites. Fortunately the members are often willing to try something new if someone else has done the work setting the scene.

John
John

Nellkyn

Post by Nellkyn » Thu May 18, 2017 7:41 am

mathboytedward wrote:RE my location; smack bang in the middle, near Coalville.
There's a coincidence, I use to work in Coalville many moons ago. Now this information is old but there use to be clubs in Loughborough, Burton, Derby, and Leicester. If I recall correctly there was more than one in Leicester.

Garth

Post by Garth » Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:01 pm

Theres always Nortampton