Spotting and Blinds

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

notjustdon

Spotting and Blinds

Post by notjustdon »

Hi, a couple of questions on blinds and spotting.

1.If a unit that was in cover/building at set up is considered to have blind status but then moves, if it is still moving within cover of some kind do you have to actually put a blind on table to show this, and if moving from cover to open ground if not in LOS do they still remain as a blind on the table?

2. If a unit that was in cover/building fires for the first time then if I'm correct it loses its blind status and has to be deployed, but if an enemy unit then wishes to fire upon them they have to spot them first? For instance, if in building, foxhole, pillbox, hedgerow. The thinking behind this being that they know a machine gun nest or infantry squad is there but exactly where has to be established before they can fire upon them
Could you please confirm this is so, or if wrong the correct answer.

Regards
notjustdon

JimLeCat

Re: Spotting and Blinds

Post by JimLeCat »

Hi,

1. We always put a blind on the table if a blind moves. A blind is never replaced with actual troops unless spotted (but remember the autospotting rules if they get too close to an enemy unit). Note that moving dummy blinds are very useful to keep an opponent guessing at this point.

2. Once a blind opens fire, it is indeed replaced with the troops it represents. After this, it doesn't have to be spotted by any enemy unit (the assumption is that someone has seen it and the information will be communicated round the enemy units).

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Jim

Zippee

Post by Zippee »

1. yes if troops under a terrain blind move for some reason then use an actual blind for this. This is often also a good ploy for using a dummy blind - pretend non-existent troops are redeploying in that wood!

2. The troops, weapon or gun that fired is/are deployed and if there other troops who did not fire a blind is placed, as the other troops do not need to be placed until the blind is 'spotted' (If everything on the blind opens fire don't place a blind just deploy all the troops).

Edited to remove confusion [hopefully]
Last edited by Zippee on Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

notjustdon

Post by notjustdon »

Thanks guys for the prompt response.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Now I am confused on point 2
If I have a unit and it fires from a terrain blind I place the unit on table as it is now spotted and do not need a blind?
If I have several units on a terrain blind and fire one of them I place the firing unit down and then a blind for the others that did not shoot - assuming they are part of the platoon?

I understand about placing blinds when you move troops on terrain blinds but I thought if you shot with therm you simply placed them on table.
Is the blind placed anyway after they have shot as they move on blinds until the end of that turn?
If so then the only time I can see that being of use is if they reserve some dice? As they fire on the blinds oer possibly tea-break cards?

notjustdon

Post by notjustdon »

In this instance the hedgerow/building counts as the blind. If you have 3 squads and a machine gun located in that area but only the machine gun and a squad open fire, only they are placed in view, the other two squads would stay hidden stay hidden, as technically they still have not been spotted. Further more if far enough away, you could place a blind on the table and move the other two squads(or not), just to confuse the enemy a bit more. Needless to say this requires total honesty on the players part. With an umpire map movement could be used instead.
I think I've got that correct.

Cheers
notjustdon