Smoke question

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Tigger

Smoke question

Post by Tigger »

The smoke rules are a bit vague and I was hoping someone could provide a bit of clarity. I have a group of friends who are historical gamers and they use this system for some of there WW2 games.

Do smoke rounds from on-board mortars with LOS (or any other artillery/afv for that matter)automatically hit its location? The rules seem to indicate they usually deviate if its indirect fire but automatically hit if its direct fire. The automatic hitting has made assaulting or ignoring dug-in mg's very easy; Our last game, allied forces used 3 light-2" mortars attached to 3 allied platoons to completely shutdown 5 dug-in mmg, a howitzer, and more or less make 2 enemy tanks irrelevant to the entire scenario. I would tend to think there would always be some deviation in firing smoke canisters but I'm certainly no expert.

And, yes, I was part of the allied-british forces and I felt bad for the german defenders.

Zippee

Re: Smoke question

Post by Zippee »

As per section 11.4 - "roll the appropriate Deviation Dice, if any, as for
their normal fire".

That's fine for off-table and on-board mediums and guns, which all roll fro deviation. The issue is with light mortars which are a bit questionable as the rules require no deviation whether in LOS or not (just harder to cause shock) personally I roll deviation if not in direct LOS but that's not strictly what the rules say.

Vehicle smoke projectors are different again and noted in 11.4 - they can be used once per game with the smoke deployed 3" directly in front.

JimLeCat

Post by JimLeCat »

Earlier versions of IABSM had more complex rules for indirect fire, including defined deviation for light mortars - 1D6 up to 24", 2D6 for 24 to 36" and 3D6 over that. In the current version, Rich cleaned up these rules, including a simplification of the rules for light mortars which removed those deviations. This does cause an ambiguity for light mortars firing smoke (which really only the British do), however Rich then put complete rules for this in Battle For Liberation (pages 96 and 97 for the generic rules and page 29 for the specific rules for British forces).

Essentially, when firing a 'round' of smoke you place a 1" blob of cotton wool at the aiming point and then roll 1D6 deviation and place a second blob (if the second roll is a hit, then you can choose where tp place the second one). These blobs make shooting through them one range band harder, but don't block line of sight. At the Tea Break, if any two blobs are within 4" of each other, then you join them and that forms a proper smoke screen. A smoke screen lasts three Tea Breaks after the last blob is joined to it (you can carry on firing smoke rounds to build it up). Lastly, each light mortar team gets four smoke rounds and four rounds of HE (rapid fire counts as firing two rounds).

Hope that helps,
Cheers,
Jim

Tigger

Post by Tigger »

Yeah, that seems a bit better. Thanks for the information.

The way we're using smoke just feels unrealistic, both concept and game mechanics. Three small mortars dumping enough smoke to nullify over half the enemy dug-in forces is a stretch. In the past, they haven't fielded too many mortars but have allowed certain tanks to shoot smoke across the board which auto-hit as long as they have LOS. I understand it has real tactical uses but the way the scenarios play out, dug-in positions are almost worthless if there's no ammo consideration or some chance for missing/deviating.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Mortar/art rounds firing smoke SHOULD have the same chance of missing as other rounds ......just my 2c