Converting some guys from FoW to IABSM!

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Jaime MMP

Converting some guys from FoW to IABSM!

Post by Jaime MMP »

Hey there, looking for some advice from you gents. I have been slowly converting some FoW players to IABSM! Luckily, these being interested in history and realism I have had success so far. The only bit I find resistance is that they insist on using the point system from FoW to create their forces, and from time to time pretty weird outfits show up on the table - four Sherman Firefly tank troops, twin .50 cal- armed Universal Carriers... I don't want to open the "points" can of worms again, but - is there any new system to allow for forces' generation?
Jaime

MILITARY MAXIM #11
The enemy diversion you are ignoring is the main attack

JimLeCat

Re: Converting some guys from FoW to IABSM!

Post by JimLeCat »

Hi Jaime,

Have you looked at the force builder in Chain of Command? You could start by picking a platoon from there, multiply it up to get a company (look at bayonetstrength.com for the appropriate TOE if you're not sure how many platoons are involved, or just just use the rule of thumb that most late war formations had three platoons to the company), then compare the resulting force ratings to work out what support one side is allowed. If you want a bit more support, then allow both sides an extra allowance of support points. That will give you a fairly balanced game.

Of course, the next step is to look at historical scenarios... :^)

Cheers,
Jim

EvilGinger

Post by EvilGinger »

The FoW Lists are based on historical To&E & not that bad provided you use them without tweaking to make tournament killer armies. I would advise them to stick to the more generic ones such as those in fortress Europe or similar rather than the smaller supliments covering specific theatres which are often wider off the mark.

I also recommend Micro marks TO&E's but you do have to get your head round military symbology. Those published for "Panzer marche" are also quite good.

:evil: Ginger
Dark lord at large....

Jaime MMP

Post by Jaime MMP »

Jim, Ginger, thanks for the pointers... interesting ideas. I have actually used 'Platoon Forward' a lot to generate forces in homegrown IABSM! scenarios, adapting unit sizes and such. However these guys don't like having their OB generated by some dice rolls - something I enjoy and think is realistic! Anyway, thanks again...
Jaime

MILITARY MAXIM #11
The enemy diversion you are ignoring is the main attack

fateeore

Post by fateeore »

You could always work out a point system of your own - or better still have them do it - based on historical formations

TroubleAtTheMill

Post by TroubleAtTheMill »

Toffee hammer.

Failing that, introduce them to the lists in Battle for Normandy/Vpered Na Berlin (available by crossing Mr Clarke's palm with silver).
Mike Whitaker
Blog: http://troubleatthemill.blogspot.com/
Podcast: The Miller's Tale (see blog)
Club: http://www.peterborough-wargames-club.org.uk/

EvilGinger

Post by EvilGinger »

May be beyond that old chap, thought that said generic 1500 point FoW armies are just the right size for IABSM & play an interesting if not always balanced game.

:evil: Ginger
Dark lord at large....

jafo

Post by jafo »

I've advocated just using the FoW points system as a rough guide for non scenario knockabout games myself. Someone who tries to 'tune' their list the same way a fair few (FoW) tourney players do will probably find that the different vibe of the IABSM rules doesn't reward cheese in quite the way that FoW does.

I love Tetrarch tanks and in FoW 2nd ed that vehicle has apparently earned a reputation as the bane of artillery parks and slow armour, but I'd hesitate to field my full troop of 4 in IABSM because using them the way FoW lets you would be a messy mistake I think.

So yeah... use the basic FoW lists I'd say and just sound the cautionary note that IABSM doesn't really do 'special rules' or reward ahistorical behaviour very much.

Vis Bellica

Post by Vis Bellica »

Especially as only about 20 ever saw action in any one theatre at any one time!

jafo

Post by jafo »

Vis Bellica wrote:Especially as only about 20 ever saw action in any one theatre at any one time!
Yup. In my specific defense, I decided on Airlanding as my army quite early on and took the Tetrarch's as something close to comic relief and then noticed a lot of AAR's in FoW circles where the little buggers were being used in a manner that would have had the Airborne Armoured Recce lads spitting their cocoa.

If I ever decide to do Operation Ironclad, at least I've got some tanks for that too :)