Simplifying Tank Kills

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Last Hussar

Simplifying Tank Kills

Post by Last Hussar »

Tank combat always struck me as more binary than the degradation found in many low level rule sets (IABSM, CoC etc). You're either Ok, or you are knocked out.

The rules are ok for when it is a few tanks in support of infantry, but I think we need to simplify for games with large forces of armour in, especially armour heavy games (say a company of tanks supported by a couple of platoons of mechanised infantry. Additionally its quite hard for a FLANK hit from Sherman/Pz IV on the other to actually KO- 2 net hits is the statistical likely hood. (Though this will cause the Sherman crew to either retreat (because 'Ronson' morale is -1), abandon (1:3 chance of immobilised, and a Ronson crew abandons on 2 shock), or mission kill - main gun gone; historically most crews would pull back.

rnaylor1

Re: Simplifying Tank Kills

Post by rnaylor1 »

I ran a game a few weeks back with a company of T-34/85's supported by a platoon of tank riders vs an understrength Panther company (2 platoons of 3 plus a company HQ tank) also supported by some infantry and we didn't have any difficulty using the two companies or finishing in a reasonable amount of time.

I've read quite a few accounts where individual tanks do accumulate damage in a similar way to what happens in the rules but I can understand that this accumulation of damage might slow the game down. I use a system of markers and coloured micro dice to represent the damage accumulated which seems to work okay for games with larger quantities of armour. Everything's colour coded so that for example you have a single yellow marker to show a tank is temporarily immobilised, two markers to show its permanently immobilised and a yellow micro dice to show the reduction in movement from engine damage.

Cheers
Richard

topi

Post by topi »

We have played quite a few games featuring a company of sherman supported by few platoons of armoured infantry and I must say I have not found the rules overtly complicated - like poster above says, having an easy system for tracking damage helps a lot. I think most of historical AARs have tanks both sustaining catastrophic damage, and also tanks sustaining multiple slowly disabling hits. (Optics, radio, spalling causing injuries).

rnaylor1

Post by rnaylor1 »

I ran another tank heavy game yesterday using an understrength panther company (11 tanks) trying to stop an entire battalion of T-34/85's (21 tanks plus 3 attached Ba-64's) in a historical encounter set near Głowaczów in Poland in August 1944. We had no problem running the game with so many tanks and we didn't feel that the detail of the tank damage system slowed the game down at all. Unfortunately my Panther company didn't fair too well and lost 9 tanks (mainly to flanking fire) but we enjoyed the game.

Cheers
Richard

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

This is good to hear as I think (after falling in love with CoC in 28mm) I might look at replacing FOW with IABSM

jafo

Post by jafo »

Truscott Trotter wrote:This is good to hear as I think (after falling in love with CoC in 28mm) I might look at replacing FOW with IABSM
You won't regret it :)

rnaylor1

Post by rnaylor1 »

No you definitely won't reget it.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

You should definitely try IABSM Truscott, well worth it.
By way of a gentle introduction you could try using your FOW figures to play CoC. Using 15mm figures which match the ground scale definitely gives a different feel to the game, much as I too love my 28mm figures.
John

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Hi John
I have - then I re-based singly some spare 15mm troops for CoC now I have one completed in 28mm and another on its way - I am hooked!
However, I stil have 5 or 56 complete FOW armies in 15mm sitting gathering dust -and I would rather not have them it in storage for 7-10 years like my DBM 15mm ancients armies - so looking to IABSM
I have looked at BKC and BG Normandy etc but they do not grab me.
Is there some introductory AAR's or videos I can look to?

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Truscott,
I am not aware of any videos for IABSM but Rob Avery's Vis Lardica site has an introduction and a whole selection of AARs available to look at. See www.vislardica.com
He is currently in the process of populating his new website so some of the links may not yet be in place, but well worth checking out.
There should also be some introductory material on the TFL blog if you search there.
John