Indirect fire and buildings

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

dakkadakka

Indirect fire and buildings

Post by dakkadakka »

I see in the rules where direct fire from an HE weapon can damage a building and/or set it alight. Does indirect fire have any effect on buildings?

Archdukek

Re: Indirect fire and buildings

Post by Archdukek »

Yes it should do if a building is the target of the indirect fire. Just use the same rules as in 7.1.2 for direct HE fire.

John

dakkadakka

Post by dakkadakka »

So, if I understand, in order for the barrage to affect a building, the building must be the aiming point; and, the barrage must not deviate (eg a hit must be rolled on the deviation die). Correct?

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Jim,
The rules don’t explicitly say anything about indirect fire on buildings. I just replied on how I would handle it if I thought the situation warranted it. Up to you whether you want to restrict it to specific attacks on the building or apply it as a way to determine collateral damage from any artillery barrage in the area.

John

dakkadakka

Post by dakkadakka »

Hey, John:

I understand that this is basically a house rule. I just wanted to see if this is how you would adjudicate it. My thinking is that if you allow any building in the kill zone to be affected, it might make barrages a little OP. That’s why I was using the rule that the building in question has to be the target; and, a hit symbol has to be rolled even before checking for the critical hit (more 6’s than ones).

Does that sound reasonable; or, should every building in the barrage kill area be affected?

Regards.

Jim

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Jim,
I think that testing for every building in a barrage area would simply take up time which would be better spent playing the game. So I’d be inclined to agree that the building in question needs to be targeted. Whether it needs a direct hit is a bit more debatable. Best thing would be to try it and see if you think it adds anything to the game.

John