Basing figures

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

jonrog1

Basing figures

Post by jonrog1 »

Just bought the supplements for the September 1939 Poland and looking at collecting Polish and Soviet forces using 10mm, basing is already standardized by need to match a friends collection on 40 x 20mm bases. How do i go about basing the individual figures. e.g. Polish rifle squad is 12 figures (is this 4 bases at 3 figs per base, or 3 bases at 4 figs per base)?

Soviet forces have a 10 man squad, so how would I go about basing this? 3/ 3/ 4 figs per base?

It's a newbie dilemma I know and any help really appreciated in getting started.

Regards

Jon

Vis Bellica

Re: Basing figures

Post by Vis Bellica »

My advice would be to minimise the amount of bases you have per squad.

Most of my figures (15mm) are based individually as I like casualty removal and to have the figures conform to the terrain they are in. They look really good, but are a real pain to move around, especially in the heat of battle. I have therefore started using sabot bases, one per squad, which works well. See any of my battle reports on the Vis Lardica website to see what I mean: but I have the advantage of quick movement and the advantage of figure removal at the cost of exact conformity to terrain.

My Poles, however, are based on FoW bases, four to a base. I therefore have to use casualty markers for up to three casualties before removing a base. Very easy to move around, some conformity to terrain, but markers needed once casualties are taken.

Which is all a long winded way of saying 3 x 4 for the Poles; 2 x 4 and 1 x 2 for the Soviets would be my advice.

Cheers

R

jonrog1

Post by jonrog1 »

Some lovely figures and table effects there, fantastic inspiration and clearly shows what I'm after.

jonrog1

Post by jonrog1 »

Many thanks indeed.

dakkadakka

Post by dakkadakka »

I’ve got a lot of 12mm stuff mounted 4 per stand on FoW bases as well; so, I’ll probably be using markers as well. Not a problem for me, as I also play GdA, which uses casualty markers as well.

Main thing is to get your troops on the table, start playing and have fun!!