Questions, night fighting

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

dsenebrecht

Questions, night fighting

Post by dsenebrecht » Fri May 10, 2019 7:01 pm

Hi folks: I'm umpiring this scenario (ANZIO, SCENARIO 19, OPERATION FISCHANG, DAY 2) this coming Sunday.

Any thoughts? tips? pointers? It's a night scenario. the scenario description says:
This scenario takes place at night. The following rules apply:
All spotting rolls are at –3 unless the target is illuminated (i.e. either has a light shining upon it, or is shining a light itself) in which case the roll is as daylight.
All fire outside short range is shifted one column to the right.
Distances for visibility are halved at night. Illuminated targets, however, should be visible from distances longer than the wargaming table, although terrain features will obscure vision as normal.

QUESTIONS:
1) where do I find rules about shining a light? which units can shine a light? why would they shine a lights? Can only tanks do this? or halftracks or jeeps?
2) distances for visibility are halved? What does this mean?
Does this mean the the Spotting Table is adjusted to read from left to right, 0-2 inches, 2-4.5 inches, 4.5-12 inches and 12 inches and up?
Does this mean the Automatic Spotting Table is adjusted to read from left to right, 0-2 inches, 2-4.5 inches and 4.5-12 inches

The intro text says Artillery and Mortars can fire star shells. The IABSM rules say a Big Man can use a flare if they have one.......but this scenario does not mention it.

Thanks, Dan

Vis Bellica

Re: Questions, night fighting

Post by Vis Bellica » Sat May 11, 2019 9:27 am

Hi Dan

1) Let common sense apply. I would say that most vehicles could shine a light if they want to...but, as you say, why would they want to? A bit suicidal!

2) Yes

3) IIRC there's no mention of artillery and mortars and Big Men firing illumination rounds during that encounter. The two sides literally fought in the dark.

Hope that helps

Cheers

R

dsenebrecht

Post by dsenebrecht » Sat May 11, 2019 12:48 pm

Thanks for clarification on (1) and (2). with regards to (2) does reduced visibility also mean that the Fire Tables for
Infantry Fire become: 0-4.5 = Close, 4.5 - 9 = Effective, Over 9" equals Long Range
Tank vs Tank (Direct Fire) become 0 - 9 and then 9 inches over

Seems to make sense and would capture the fact that any night fighting or night shooting takes place at closer ranges to be as effective as daylight firing....

With regards to (3), the Intro of the Anzio scenario book (page 4) says that, unless otherwise specified in the scenario, that artillery and mortars can fire star shells.

Thanks!

dsenebrecht

Post by dsenebrecht » Sat May 11, 2019 5:06 pm

I just re-read guidance...... Only 0-9" range is unaffected. anything over 9 inches shifts one column to right.