Question's

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Question's

Postby Michael » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:29 pm

We have just played the Defence of Calais first scenario Les Attaques. Using tanks to push the bus and lorry blocking the road out of the way, will the tanks suffer any movement penalty.
Similar question regarding smashing through roadblocks using tanks. We used all the tanks actions using 3d6 to push through then determine the effect on contact with the roadblock with a 1d6 a 1-2 thrown a track 3-4 bounced off 1 shock 5-6 successful.
I have no idea if I'm playing this correctly, I know the Panzer 3 main gun only fires AP and not He so would probably not have been effective.
Michael

Re: Question's

Postby Vis Bellica » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:36 am

Hi Michael
Sounds like you did exactly what you're supposed to do when playing IABSM i.e. just used common sense to cover a situation not explicitly laid down by the rules.
I usually do exactly the same as you: state that tanks take all their Actions in one turn to push a civilian vehicle out the way; or smash through it at the risk of throwing a track or hitting in wrongly.
I might even include your mechanics in the next edition!
Hope you enjoyed the scenario.
Cheers
R
Vis Bellica

Postby TroubleAtTheMill » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:29 am

Next edition???? :D :D :D :D
TroubleAtTheMill

Postby Derek H » Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:47 am

IABSM could probably do with another edition. Command systems have improved a bit in recent Lardy systems and to my mind it show up just how reactive the IABSM command system is.

My article in the Summer Special is an attempt to get round this, but I think it could benefit from a ground up rethink. I'd also like to see a force morale system in there.
All the Lard News in one place - Lard Central http://www.netvibes.com/lardcentral
Pimping my blog - Dereks Wee Toys http://dereksweetoys.com/
Derek H

Postby Michael » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:10 am

Hi Rich,Thanks for your reply.As there are many roadblock situations in the Defence of Calais scenarios I had to think of something that would work. You maybe able too tweak it if you intend to add the mechanism into your next addition.
Michael

Postby TroubleAtTheMill » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:24 am

Derek H wrote:IABSM could probably do with another edition. Command systems have improved a bit in recent Lardy systems and to my mind it show up just how reactive the IABSM command system is.

My article in the Summer Special is an attempt to get round this, but I think it could benefit from a ground up rethink. I'd also like to see a force morale system in there.

....and an index??? :D :D :D

My only comment is that there's a certain 'something' to IABSM3 that I'd not want to lose in a rewrite though.
TroubleAtTheMill

Postby Vis Bellica » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:18 pm

I've read Derek's piece in the Summer Special (excellent idea, and I shall use Command Cards next time I play IABSM), and Rich's piece about the Shock mechanic (agree that it needs to be preserved in any new form), but still agree with Derek that some kind of overall force morale system akin to Chain of Command would sometimes clarify when a game ends or give more detailed victory conditions.

Perhaps the factors that lead to a potential drop in FM could be a menu as opposed to pre-set, or scenario specific. That would deal with many of Rich's points.

Cheers

R
Vis Bellica

Postby Vis Bellica » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:18 pm

Michael wrote:Hi Rich,Thanks for your reply.As there are many roadblock situations in the Defence of Calais scenarios I had to think of something that would work. You maybe able too tweak it if you intend to add the mechanism into your next addition.

It was Rob actually!
Vis Bellica

Postby Vis Bellica » Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:20 pm

TroubleAtTheMill wrote:Next edition???? :D :D :D :D

Sorry to increase your blood pressure: I meant a new edition of the Calais pack not IABSM as a whole!

I do occasionally update my packs separate to an overall rules update, and as Calais was the first one I wrote, I feel it could perhaps do with being shroffed up a bit!

Cheers

R
Vis Bellica

Postby Charles Eckart » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:13 pm

Force Morale for IABSM suggestion from Rich appeared in the Christmas 2013 special (that long ago?). We started using FM with IABSM just over a year ago, like the result and continue using it.

Vis Lardica has an AAR of a game using FM we played about a year ago. Called The Initiation of Dashwood Brown from a 2005 special.
Charles Eckart

Return to I Ain’t Been Shot Mum