Squadron forward Mission

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

prestontfe@gmail.com

Squadron forward Mission

Post by prestontfe@gmail.com » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:01 am

One of the Missions is a simple fighter on fighter brawl.. What ends this? Fight to the death?

As we know, one side is playing the Campaign and the other a 'opposing force', it almost inevitably means that the Campaigner will try to leave first as he 'has something to lose' where non-player doesn't.

Has anybody come up with a solution?

Steve

Archdukek

Re: Squadron forward Mission

Post by Archdukek » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:31 am

Hi Steve,
Assuming you are referring to Mission A Fighter Sweep - Encounter with Fighters, the victory conditions on page 21 are to "Give better than you get!" Basically inflict more damage on the enemy than you suffer.

So as the active Squadron commander you can break off any time you are ahead in the number of planes shot down or forced to retire due to damage and claim a victory.
If playing solo you might want to refine this in advance to set a minimum objective of say 1/3rd of the enemy force, rather than just shoot down the first bogey and run.

If you have another player operating the opposing force then the same victory conditions would apply to him permitting him to break off when ahead and claim victory.

John

prestontfe@gmail.com

Post by prestontfe@gmail.com » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:03 am

I saw that it was 'give better than you get', my thoughts were that a bloodthirsty OPFOR player would keep trying to shoot down your precious characters.

In our trial games we found that the 'player' was much more sensitive to losses than the OPFOR with nothing invested in them.

I suppose I was thinking of some sort of morale rules..

:)

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:53 am

Steve,
Have you considered creating a separate squadron for your OPFOR with its own characters to give your opposing player reason to take be less bloodthirsty?

For our BOB campaign a few years ago we developed a Spitfire and a Hurricane squadron for the RAF and an ME 109 and ME 110 staffels for the German side, with each player commanding a flight or Schwarme. If your flight wasn't directly involved in the mission then you took control of the opposing staffel with its own characters which you flew to the best of your ability. That way both sides had an interest in the outcome. A bit more work up front but it produced some interesting games.

If you don't want to go down that route why not draw up a table for the OPFOR to roll against to determine what % losses would be considered acceptable by his commanders. Keep the dice roll hidden until the end of the game. That way both sides are operating under the kind of constraints you would have found historically as commanders sought to achieve their immediate mission without placing in jeopardy their capacity to respond to the demands of the coming days.

John

prestontfe@gmail.com

Post by prestontfe@gmail.com » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:53 am

Hi John, I'm liking both those ideas...

I have struggled a little with making it a two player campaign, I think i read some comment in SF or FH that inferred it could be done 'sort of', as Squadrons didn't meet each other that often.

I have just tried where 50/50 its your campaign battle (Luftwaffe or RAF) and you roll an enemy who happens to be of the correct aircraft type as the opposing PLAYER, then it is a 50/50 chance of them being the opponent, that way I can run two concurrent campaigns. This is for BoB. I am hoping the players will do the same for me in my upcoming western Desert 1942 Campaign...Kittyhawks away...!!

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:55 am

Hi Steve,
That sounds like an interesting approach.
While I wouldn't dispute that in BoB squadrons didn't meet that often, we found it added an extra dimensions to our games and didn't worry over much about the historical parallels.

John