Squadron sprog....

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Squadron sprog....

Postby Captain W Martin » Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:33 pm

Hi all.

I recognise some names, but a 'hello' to all those I don't.

Im looking at getting into BTH to play at my local club.

Id be much obliged if someone could give me a few pointers on the who,what,why,when of the game....

Do you mostly play 1/600 on hexes?

What do you do for bases?

Looking forward to this game.
Captain W Martin

Re: Squadron sprog....

Postby Amaz_Ed » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:53 pm

1/600th on hexes is what we have been playing. Planes are cheap (we use Tumbling Dice miniatures) and quick to paint and the smaller hexes allow for larger games and less chance of running out of table when the action drifts.

I have personally been using bases of my own design printed on my 3d printer. You will need a method of recording the height of the individual planes, for this I use a small (7mm I think) D6 set into a recess on the base.
Amaz_Ed

Re: Squadron sprog....

Postby Archdukek » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:49 pm

We use 1/300 planes on a 2" hex mat for our Battle of Britain games because that is what my mate had when the rules came out. It works well for fighter combat but can get trickier if you are using lots of bombers. 1/600 planes definitely have the advantage for those games and as Ed says are cheaper and take up less space to play.

Bases are perspex flying stands and we use micro dice to mark altitude, black D6 at lower level, white D6 for upper.

Cards were purchased from Artscow and I think were originally created by James Crate. They feature pictures from the Battle of Britain movie. There should be some you can download from the TooFatLardies Yahoo group or you could make up chips. You will also need a set of markers to track plane damage and tailing aircraft. Again there may be something on the Yahoo site file section.

Once you've tried out the rules you might want to check out the Squadron Forward Supplement by Joe Legan which lets you populate your squadron and fly campaign missions. The Battle of Britain supplement is also very good if you want to run an air campaign in that period. Chris Stoesen also has published supplements for games not in the Med and North Africa.

Tally Ho!

John
Archdukek

Return to Bag the Hun