A Question on Tailing

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

A Question on Tailing

Postby Amaz_Ed » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:26 pm

I recently started playing Bag the Hun and am loving it, but today there was an issue that doesn't seem to be covered in the rule book and I wondered whether anyone had an thoughts on how it should be resolved.

When tailing a plane gain, or fall back, according to it's speed relative to the plane that it is tailing.

What does everyone do in a situation where the tailing plane would overshoot the target? We decided that it would simply be a choice for the pilot in the tailing plane to either do so or give up the tail and move later. That being said, if the pilot tailing decides not to continue the tail, but his card has already been played (and ignored due to the tail) does that mean that the plane might not move for that turn?

In one instance a Fiat G50 tailing a Westland Whirlwind was struggling to keep up. It was losing 2 hexes per turn due to the speed differential and was 4 hexes behind when the Whirlwind decided to make an easy turn followed by a break turn. Placing the Fiat 6 hexes behind the Whirlwind meant that it had actually travelled 13 hexes and turned through 180 degrees, an amazing feat of flying in a plane that has a maximum modified speed of 9 hexes. By falling back the Fiat had moved farther than it should ever be allowed to. Is there a more sensible outcome?
Amaz_Ed

Re: A Question on Tailing

Postby SteveBurt » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:16 pm

We always give the option for the tailer to break off (and yes, that might mean he doesn't get to move, but that's usually better than ending up in front of the other plane).

In your second case I'd say that once you are more than 4 hexes away the tail is broken, but more generally I'd allow the somewhat wild moves that sometimes happen when a plane is tailing; it keeps things simple.
SteveBurt

Postby Amaz_Ed » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:21 pm

Thanks for the response. Glad we weren't missing something.
Amaz_Ed

Postby Archdukek » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:25 pm

I agree that a tailing pilot can always choose to break off when his own card is drawn, but I would be a little harsher than Steve since a plane cannot stand still for a turn in any circumstances.
If the pilot allows himself to get too close to a tailed aircraft without breaking off then he will overshoot and leave himself open to a shot from his opponent who has turned the tails so to speak. Something which could arise in practice.

John
Archdukek

Postby Amaz_Ed » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:14 pm

I think I like the 'harsher' answer. Thanks :D
Amaz_Ed

Return to Bag the Hun