Finest hours supplement-anyone tried this

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

DanniLee1

Finest hours supplement-anyone tried this

Post by DanniLee1 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:01 pm

I came across the little gemlet whilst I was browsing the Lardies website, and I was wonder if if anyone has played this out, and if so, what they thought? I was especially wondering if it was straightforward Spitfires/Hurricanes against the Jerries, or if other plane types made an appearance?
Thanks in advance-
Danni Lee

Lorne

Re: Finest hours supplement-anyone tried this

Post by Lorne » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:46 pm

(N.B. I have "Finest Hour" but haven't played it through)

In essence, FH puts you in the shoes of a squadron commander and follows him through the battle day by day.

All aircraft types are accommodated, both RAF and Axis. If you want to try your hand with a squadron of Defiants or Blenheim 1Fs you're free to do so.

Pilot characteristics are generated and a system provided to handle casualties, replacements, medals etc. Same for managing aircraft readiness and status.

The core of the supplement is the generation and conduct of sorties by the squadron. This provides a wide range of scenarios. There's even an auto resolution mechanism included in case you don't want to get the toys out on the table (whyever not?)

IMO it provides both depth and range in a compact and elegant self-contained package. And all for less than the price of a cinema ticket.

Lorne

DanniLee1

Post by DanniLee1 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:17 pm

Thanks Lorne-this really does sound interesting, especially playing out what is normally considered the "spear carriers" of the conflict, such as Stukas or Blenheim's, or even *gulp* the Battles. My only quibble that over in the States, the price tag would be ten dollars or so, which is a bit steep for only forty pages, especially when you compare the price of say, a Special or a IABSM supplement, which often go over 200 pages for less the cost.

Lorne

Post by Lorne » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:15 pm

Value's in the eye of the beholder, I suppose :)

FWIW, I view it as a steal - it'd cost me far more to source the historical info underpinning the supplement, never mind the opportunity cost of the time spent then studying the material and devising a campaign system. Here, for the princely sum of c.$10, it's all been done for me and served up on the proverbial plate.

So go on then, treat yourself, you know you really want to.... :)

(And then come back for a copy of "Squadron Forward" to do then run squadrons on the Eastern Front, South Pacific, Malta...)

Lorne

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:59 am

Danni,
The Finest Hour supplement is an excellent buy and I would recommend it without hesitation. Think of it as an "ATSE" for Bag the Hun! Your $10 is paying for quality ideas not page count.

Very different from ATSE of course but it does let you run a campaign taking a squadron through the different periods of the Battle of Britain generating missions which you have to complete while juggling with the problems of damaged aircraft and replacement pilots. You can also play it for either side.

It's been some years since I have played it but when we did we had a ball. We generated squadrons using Spitfires, Hurricanes, Me109s and Me110s sometimes pitching them against each other while on other occasions letting them fly independent missions. Some of the pilots became really memorable characters and in fact one of my regular opponents was reminiscing the other week on how much he had grown to hate my Me110 Squadron Leader who managed to just avoid death and destruction on several occasions. Fond memories.

Be aware though that the "Spear carriers" as you call them tend to die in droves in BTH so wouldn't make a great squadron to campaign with but it could be done and that could be very educational in itself.

John

DanniLee1

Post by DanniLee1 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:51 pm

Thanks Lorne and John-I was curious as to how different this was from "Squadron Forward", especially in the pilot generating system, and if "Their Finest Hour" campaigns were for fighters only or if bombers were also accommodated.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:10 pm

"Their Finest Hour" is different from Squadron Forward in that it is more like a Pint Sized Campaign I would suggest which you can use to refight typical sorties during the different phases of the Battle of Britain campaign. It deals with some of the bread and butter issues of keeping a squadron in the air. The pilots are essentially another squadron asset.

Squadron Forward goes into more detail on the characteristics of different pilots and has almost an RPG lite feel to some extent. It is also generic and can be used to generate scenarios in any theatre at any point in the War. The two complement each other very well.

The focus of "Their Finest Hour" is definitely the fighter squadrons, bombers are essentially targets but if you put in the work I think you could use the mechanisms to handle a bomber squadron if that's what you wanted.

John hn

DanniLee1

Post by DanniLee1 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:59 pm

Thanks guys, I found all your input really helpful. At this point (And my thinking changes faster then the New England weather) I'm going to play a few games of BTH2 and "Squadron Forward" to see if I can sustain my interest in this period. If I do, I'll take the plunge and pick up the Finest Hour supplement. I might try to run a Bolton Paul Defiant squadron at first, against German bombers,(Which is what they were originally intended for in real time) just 'cause something about a fighter with a bomber turret tacked onto its back like a racehorse having a camels hump grafted onto it, is kinda fascinating.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:07 am

You could try Defiants against Stukas, but against almost anything else then they die quickly as they did historically. I am amazed by the courage of the pilots who actually continued to fly these during the Fall of France despite their appalling record.

John

DanniLee1

Post by DanniLee1 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:31 am

I woulda thought the Defiants would have held their own against Heinkels or Dorniers through-I have read where the Boltons brought down some German bombers early on before the Me109's used them as chew-toys. I did think of adapting Squadron Forward for British bombers, but historically , especially in 1940 with the Blenheim's and Fury's, , that was more like "Send out six, flak and German fighters appear, biff-biff-bang-bang, un-oh, better send out another six from this weeks replacement's. "