On the double phase

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

seandev

On the double phase

Post by seandev » Wed Oct 03, 2018 2:06 am

Please do not read this as an attempt to reignite any debate around excessive 'double phase' or anything, I just wanted to offer a minor modification that I have been enjoying in my own games of late, which I thought others in the larger community might likewise enjoy.

I must say that the 'double phase' system in Chain of Command is one of my favourite parts of the game, giving a cunning commander those glimpses of opportunity to 'one-up' the opposition. Given the 'phase' is not a definite period of time but rather 'the briefest moment in which something of substance can be achieved', the double phases to me represented those times you could catch the opposition unawares, their heads down briefly, maybe firing, but not realising the enemy are maneouvering under their very noses!

My only minor grievance has been that the double phase is frequently not used for maneouvering or executing tactical brilliance. My opponent simply keeps shooting, and shooting, and shooting... and I get disappointed because I'm bored, my game is lost, and I don't have a particularly exciting story to tell about the action. Unforunately given I am so time poor, I like every game I play to be entertaining and have a great story (demanding I know!).

So, my minor modification:

"A unit may only conduct one firing related activation within any number of consecutive phases for the same side."

The beauty is that this preserves all the wonder and tactical marvel of the double phase, encouraging radical and ambitious maneouvering, while discouraging a sit and shoot fest. It also has the benefit of requiring no tokens/counters to keep track of. Even the 'stacked' multiple phases (you know the games, 3, 4, or 5 in a row) are still useful but not game ruining anymore.

So with shooting out, and maneouvering in, my games have experienced more tactical fun, squads sneaking around the flank before opening up enfilade (Sarge, where have they gone?), getting that break to cross some difficult ground (their heads are down, no situational awareness, lets make a break for it!), shooting and disappearing into the woods or even a sneaky assault out of nowhere (or two, or three!).

Let me know if you experience the same should you give it a try.

Peter

Re: On the double phase

Post by Peter » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:32 am

Interesting, not least because you have to choose when to shoot - before or after movement (assuming just two phase). So you might lay down some fire to prepare an assault, or manoeuvre to get into better firing positions prior to having a 'shooty' phase.

seandev

Post by seandev » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:38 am

Quite, with the added risk that you might move and not get the dice for the subsequent shot... more command-friction fun!

OldNick

Post by OldNick » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:47 am

All this change appears to do is change the balance between fire and manoeuvre. At some times this is a positive thing for the person getting a double phase, at other times it is a disadvantage. I am not at all convonced that it is an improvement to the game to only aid one side of this equation when a double phase occurs.

seandev

Post by seandev » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:21 am

Agreed Nick, this is primarily about rewarding a more active style of game play, which in my mind I much prefer, but it is merely a preference which is why this is a general offering to the gaming community. Though I should note it also naturally attenuates the effects of large sequences of consecutive phases, I have had them since playing this rule and the outcome was very pleasing, some interesting manoeuvre and advantages arose, but there was no need for the opponent to pack up the table and go home!

OldNick

Post by OldNick » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:36 am

It seems to me that it is likely to work almost entirely to the advantage of the attacker. If a defender has deployed wisely, and has deployed troops into positions that counter the attackjer successfully, why should they not be allowed to gain advantage from a double phase?

seandev

Post by seandev » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:43 am

It could be said CoC is already weighted to the defender in such scenarios, but beither attackers nor defenders are impervious to 5 rounds of firepower in a row. But totally respect where you are coming from, which is why, again, this is simply put out there for those interested.

Peter

Post by Peter » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:05 am

Well, a defender could fire, then go on overwatch in a subsequent phase, giving them a limited benefit. Multiple phases could allow a defender to get rid of shock or throw grenades and potentially accumulate CoC dice. And if the attacker is wanting to move, he may have to accept using just 3 command dice if he shoots in the first phase, in order to have more movement options in the second; a well positioned attacker can wait until they can get everyone to shoot.
I'm not sure if I prefer this option, or reducing the number of command dice by one for each subsequent phase. Both have the advantage of simplicity. And although I have limited experience, I'm coming round to the view that something should be done to limit them.

Peter

powermonger

Post by powermonger » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:38 pm

I very much like your idea! would give it a try!

andyskinner

Post by andyskinner » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:58 pm

If the 6s ended a turn, would you allow units that fired to do it again? A new turn usually resets a lot.
andy