Downorder Podcast comparison

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Trailape

Downorder Podcast comparison

Post by Trailape »

Have you all heard this:
http://downorder.com/episode-49-bolt-ac ... ment-29818

Quite good accept I struggle to understand where one of the commentators gets the idea that the standard British infantry Platoon Tactic of the early war was to ‘frontally assault’ German Machine Guns!
I AM MY BROTHER'S KEEPER

Derek H

Re: Downorder Podcast comparison

Post by Derek H »

That podcast is three and a quarter hours long for goodness sake. They might have one hours worth of good material if they were stretching it.

I just about lost the will to live and had to give up listening.
All the Lard News in one place - Lard Central http://www.netvibes.com/lardcentral
Pimping my blog - Dereks Wee Toys http://dereksweetoys.com/

Seret

Post by Seret »

Derek H wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:40 am
That podcast is three and a quarter hours long for goodness sake. They might have one hours worth of good material if they were stretching it.
A common problem with wargaming podcasts IMO. Since a lot of them are intended to be listened to while painting folks think "It has to be reeeaaaally long". Which is fine if you've actually got three hours of content, but padding it out with lots of "um"s and waffle about what miniatures they've bought this week isn't exactly gripping IMO.

My favourite wargaming podcast at the moment is the WSS one. It has structure and they generally move on once they've actually had a discussion around the question, before it starts to drag. Normally comes in at about an hour, or a bit under. The Oddcast is ok, too at about an hour and a half.

Trailape

Post by Trailape »

As I listen to podcasts or Audio books whilst I paint / construct models or terrain I find the length of the podcast not to be an issue generally speaking.
I was more interested in the content.
To each his own but someone might find this particular podcast interesting or maybe some of the others available for listening to
I AM MY BROTHER'S KEEPER

Derek H

Post by Derek H »

There are some very good reasons for the radio industry employing scriptwriters and editors.
All the Lard News in one place - Lard Central http://www.netvibes.com/lardcentral

Trailape

Post by Trailape »

Derek H wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:03 pm
There are some very good reasons for the radio industry employing scriptwriters and editors.
True🤔
But these aren’t professional radio DJs or have the resources of said DJs. They are simply passionate hobbyists so I’m willing to listen in and put up with the occasional divergence. 😄
I AM MY BROTHER'S KEEPER

Iztvan

Post by Iztvan »

Well, it's free. :-)
I don't really mind, time flies when painting and commuting (or going to sleep). Sometimes it is good to have something that doesn't require your full focus, since your mind is partly busy with the painting & building (or falling asleep).
Twitter @Staffan_G

Derek H

Post by Derek H »

Iztvan wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:49 am
Well, it's free. :-)
And not worth the price :-) The signal to noise ratio is approaching zero.

oozeboss
Location: In the Shadow of the Temple of Mir-Anda, Sydney, Australia

Post by oozeboss »

Seret wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:28 am
Derek H wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:40 am
A common problem with wargaming podcasts IMO. Since a lot of them are intended to be listened to while painting folks think "It has to be reeeaaaally long". Which is fine if you've actually got three hours of content, but padding it out with lots of "um"s and waffle about what miniatures they've bought this week isn't exactly gripping IMO.
Which is precisely why I almost never listen to podcasts. Far too often they're the work of Serious Young Insects (name of a former Australian band, btw) who know next to nothing about the actual history which they are invoking, and who mistake their own passionate interest in peering at the petty minutiae of their trivial uninspiring lives with what the rest of us are actually doing or thinking.

For some inexplicable reason, I now do the vast bulk of my painting while watching the Hiroshima Carp playing in the NPB on my computer - the crowd chants are mesmerizing (to the point where I can now sing their club song) (in Japanese).

Seret

Post by Seret »

Trailape wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:33 am
I struggle to understand where one of the commentators gets the idea that the standard British infantry Platoon Tactic of the early war was to ‘frontally assault’ German Machine Guns!
Having listened to the first couple of hours last night I think he conceded that doing so wasn't doctrine. He was saying that many units didn't manage to achieve textbook "fire and maneuver" tactics in practice. I think it's an interesting point.

While I think that CoC's emphasis on going back to the tactical manuals is great, in reality there's often a big gap between what's in the manuals and what actual units do. I think anyone who's served will recognise this from their first posting to an actual unit, where they had to immediately unlearn half the stuff they were taught in the schools!

How actual units behave is down to their internal culture as much as their training. I'm not saying that it should be like that, just that it often is.

A pertinent example would be the US and "marching fire". The WW2 book said to teach it, so they did (well into the 50s and 60s, in fact). And in CoC you can use it and get a definite benefit. But in practice only some units used it in combat (and swore by it) while other units never did it because the fact is that it's crap and doesn't work. But the practice persisted because the culture in some units supported doing so. Units don't necessarily do things either because they've been trained to or even because they work.