CoC Battle of Narvik

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

john de terre neuve

CoC Battle of Narvik

Post by john de terre neuve »

Had a very interesting and fun game last Saturday surrounding the Norwegian campaign. Some very novel units, for me anyway. Somewhat of a AR posted here http://fuentesdeonoro.blogspot.com/2018 ... mment-form

John
redmist1122

Re: CoC Battle of Narvik

Post by redmist1122 »

What a crazy mix of Allied forces...I like it. Nice report. Looking forward to your next Winter War game AAR.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
Peter

Post by Peter »

I confess to be slightly concerned about the mix of allied sections at least. It reminded me of another game. We're the senior leaders restricted as to whom they could influence?
Emilio

Post by Emilio »

Great!! There were a lot of spanish guys in the Foreign Legion at Narvik.
Emilio

Post by Emilio »

A lot of info here:

http://atf40.forumculture.net/f47-sarre ... de-norvege

You can find the orders of battle for the Polish Brigade, the Foreign Legion and the Chasseurs alpins here:

http://www.atf40.fr/ATF40/documents/nor ... vege2.html
john de terre neuve

Very interesting Emilio, really quite detailed info.

What we played was a fictional encounter but I believe the allied squads used were quite reasonable historically. I agree that were 2 SL's but in the game we played they were both influencing the French squads only including the Polish squad which operated historically under French command. The Norwegians were well out of their command range throughout the game and were engaged in a flaking manoeuvre. In the patrol phase the attacker had 2 different sets of patrol markers, 3 French and 3 Norwegian as set out in the rules for scenario 5.

i think Greg did a great job of designing this OB so the forces were both accurate and coherent historically.

I am very tempted to paint up a similar combined force but I have to say it might be a bit of a challenge in the 20mm-1/72 metals that I favour.

John
Peter

Post by Peter »

15mm Norwegians are even rarer!
john de terre neuve

and then i came across early war miniatures! https://earlywarminiatures.com/product- ... 1939-1942/
pedivere

Post by pedivere »

Quite a scenario! I don't find the force combinations too irregular, the situation was quite mixed in Narvik.
What surprises me is the apparent lack of cover...

It however gives me a good idea of how to proceed once I have my 13e DBLE together
Errhile

Post by Errhile »

Well, the Polish Podhale Rifles Brigade was organized and equipped along the lines of the French Chasseurs Alpins.
I'd wonder if they had enough time in training to acquire French national characteristics (which might be a good thing, since this would leave them with platoon sergeants that aren't of limited capability. I guess there were enough veterans of the September 1939 to give the Birgade nominally competent leaders). The materials I've found do mention the unit was not properly trained, especially in mountain warfare (the brigade was stationed in Brittany, which is certainly not the right terrain to train mountain rifles!).

Should anyone want to model the Podhale Rifles, they wore French uniform: