Getting started with Chain of Command

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

MLB

Getting started with Chain of Command

Post by MLB »

I've put together an overview of all the various bits and pieces I've put together to play CoC. Many are not original, but given the recent spate of posts from new players asking questions about topics like how to best base figures I thought I'd share what I do. Purely my personal approach, but hopefully useful in some way to new players. It's here on my blog https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com ... guide.html
Last edited by MLB on Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Tactical Painter
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top
Archdukek

Re: Ideas and a guide for new players

Post by Archdukek »

That's a very useful and informative summary. You should ask Rich or Monty to make it a sticky.

I'm going to steal your idea for smoke markers. I need to make some more and I can never remember the rule for where they land either.

John
MLB

Post by MLB »

Thanks John I'll get in touch with Monty or Rich and see if that's something they want to consider.

Meantime I've also updated the post with a link to Mike Whitaker's Quick Reference Sheets plus a little piece about dice and how to differentiate your command dice from the other dice. Seems obvious now but many a time I picked up my command dice and rolled them to resolve a combat and promptly forgot what I had rolled for command dice....
The Tactical Painter
Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Mark,
Those are good additions. I use much larger white dice for my Command Dice, the same size as the Chain of Command dice TFL sell, to avoid that problem. You just have to be careful to find a clear space for rolling them!

John
richard
Site Admin

Post by richard »

I must say that I agree, so this topic is now sticky. Most helpful...

Rich
MLB

Post by MLB »

Archdukek wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:47 am I use much larger white dice for my Command Dice, the same size as the Chain of Command dice TFL sell, to avoid that problem. You just have to be careful to find a clear space for rolling them!
I use a dice tower, something I disparaged for years until I realised they keep the dice from doing just that.
The Tactical Painter
MLB

Post by MLB »

Richard wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:04 am I must say that I agree, so this topic is now sticky. Most helpful...
Rich
Thanks Rich, hopefully this becomes a thread all the grizzled veterans can use to share their wisdom with new players.
The Tactical Painter
BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

I'm a grizzled newbie - can I still share?
No plan survives first contact with the dice.
Snotty

Post by Snotty »

I put small flower tufts on my Leader bases to make them stand out. ;)
Last edited by Snotty on Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
siggian

Post by siggian »

Because most of my troops are Warlord plastics, I used helmeted heads for grunts, soft caps for my JLs, and peaked caps for my SLs. I don't know whether I will be able to do that for all armies, but that's my plan for now.

Edit 1: I also put a small coloured sticker on the back of each base, with a different colour for each section. This is helpful for setting up games ("Just put all the green sticker guys over there") and during the games if two sections come close to each other.