Walls for battle in Carentan

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Closecraig

Walls for battle in Carentan

Post by Closecraig » Thu May 31, 2018 1:14 pm

Hi all,

My dad and I are currently going through the Rendezvous With Destiny campaign which is based in Carentan and I'm planning ahead by preparing the terrain for the final battle.

(Apologies for large image, )

I'm wondering what sort of walls would be appropriate for Carentan during this period? If we take the campaign booklet as reference, they are described as high walls but that they provide heavy cover, so I'm thinking 4-5' onwards? What sort of materials would these be made of aswell?

Archdukek

Re: Walls for battle in Carentan

Post by Archdukek » Thu May 31, 2018 4:21 pm

Probably stone built and potentially 6' high.
Why not try Google Earth Street view for a look at the location today? It's often surprising how much remains of the historic environment.

John

Dbsubashi

Post by Dbsubashi » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:53 am

Walls in northern France are usually dressed stone construction. Mostly light grey and tans (with the occasional darker/browner stones) with lots of mold and moss. I wouldn't worry about mortar as the afore-mentioned mold darkens it to a black/green/blackish-green. Many walls are also plastered/white-washed, though this also acquires stains/aging. If the farms are well cared for, they often resemble Hougemont from Waterloo. White-washed houses/barns/stables, with high walls to keep cattle in and robbers out. Roofs are slate/tiled, with colors varying based upon local conditions and wealth.

Tom Ballou

Post by Tom Ballou » Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:27 pm

Boy no luck using Google street view, the main road has been widened, so any walls removed. But you can get a beer at the 101st cafe! :lol:
--Tom

Never drive a car when you're dead
--Tom Waits "Telephone Call From Istanbul"

Seret

Post by Seret » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:22 pm

Googling for period photos there's not a whole lot to go on, but I found a couple of high-level shots:

and this nice big one.

Walls look to be brick or dressed/rendered stone, and at least about 4-5 feet with many higher than that.

Closecraig

Post by Closecraig » Sun Jun 03, 2018 1:23 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies!

I did try Google maps, but it turns out they've built up since WW2 so it made it difficult. :roll:

Those aerial shots are incredible Seret - A lot of help! Thanks.

I now need to figure out if I can afford to just buy a bunch of tall walls or if I'm brave enough to make them myself. ;)

Archie Bacon

Post by Archie Bacon » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:21 pm

Go to Google maps street view near the church. The original walls are still there, all different heights, complete with bullet holes ;)

Will3T

Post by Will3T » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:37 pm

They can vary from chest high to over man height. You can use rules from Kampfgruppe Von Luck for crossing the big ones, which I think takes a whole phase of movement.

The part of town that the scenario map is based on is now much more developed but at the time this was right on the outskirts of town. I used Balsa wood to make my tall walls, fun weekend project!