Where are my points in Chain of Command?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Jaedrian

Where are my points in Chain of Command?

Post by Jaedrian » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:24 am

I just added a short piece to my blog talking about the lack of a points based system in Chain of Command. Please look it over and share your thoughts on the lack of a tourney army building points type system. Just click the link in my signature to go there. Have a great weekend. I'll be playing this weekend and not writing much.
Recon by hand grenade.
http://badkompany.blogspot.com

EvilGinger

Re: Where are my points in Chain of Command?

Post by EvilGinger » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:59 am

Chain of command & indeed lardie games as a whole are not designed for Tournament use. Indeed many Lardies myself included are ex tournament players who where put off them by the behaviour of other players in tournaments.

As for points systems the Lardie consensus of opinion is that they are all basically broken to some degree or another. So we either play scenario's or as in CoC have an alternate balancing mechanism for pick up games. The balancing mechanisium in Coc is a new innovation for lardie games thought I have seen similar mechanics in other rules.

:evil: Ginger
Dark lord at large....

John Thomas8

Post by John Thomas8 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:02 am

Jaedrian wrote:I just added a short piece to my blog talking about the lack of a points based system in Chain of Command. Please look it over and share your thoughts on the lack of a tourney army building points type system. Just click the link in my signature to go there. Have a great weekend. I'll be playing this weekend and not writing much.
I got your points right here. :D

TFL don't neeeeed no skinkin' points. Build a historically plausible force and give it achievable victory conditions and play the games.

EvilGinger

Post by EvilGinger » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:06 am

Points systems are also rather sore points with some of us - pun intended

:evil: Ginger
Dark lord at large....

Greg Bradfield

Post by Greg Bradfield » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:52 am

It is about playing not winning so beating an opponents larger force with my under strength force employing real war tactics is so much sweeter.

Tom Ballou

Post by Tom Ballou » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:26 am

It's stated in the intro to the rules, the game will use historical OBs, with balancing add on forces. The point system is your initial force buy, then the force differential, plus bonus points, with scenario limitations.

The only thing you can't buy is the elements of the core force.

I too shot from the hip (Marching Fire). I stand corrected. :oops:

As the OB lists fill out, I think the tournament players will find what they like. But as a scenario player the concept raises my hackles.
Last edited by Tom Ballou on Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Tom

Never drive a car when you're dead
--Tom Waits "Telephone Call From Istanbul"

Peabody

Post by Peabody » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:44 am

Another good article Eddie, anyone who reads it will get a good sense of what's going on with the approach to force balancing behind the TooFat philosophy.
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here! Blog thingy.

GERRYJD

Post by GERRYJD » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:58 am

Very good article Eddie. Well worth the read!

Would add that at my club, we have have lots of players who like points based games, although I very much don't, and I'm hoping this approach to balancing games from Rich with COC will entice some of them to jump on board too. Have a play test/demo game for them tomorrow so we'll see how it goes.

Cheers

Gerry
You may call it sarcasm......I prefer to regard it as a humorous observation!!

Nick B

Post by Nick B » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:37 am

Great article and not what I was expecting from the initial post!

I have the feeling that the first lost of posters had not actually bothered to read the article. FYI it's not a rant about the lack of points but a very good essay in support of CoC and why those who like points shouldn't worry or need them with this system.

Great blog - just wish folk would read before responding!

sunjester

Post by sunjester » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:49 am

Another great article Eddie. I've found your blog fascinating.

I agree with Nick B. Guys, if someone posts a comment with a link to their blog or whatever, have the good manners to read what he has actually said before biting his head off!

Then if he's spouting a load of crap you can tell him so.

Graham