Martlet wild card

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Gaff-Oz

Martlet wild card

Post by Gaff-Oz »

It's funny how something that seems obvious to one person can appear the opposite to the next....
So, game six of Martlet saw the Germans withdraw from map 4 (St Nicholas). The German player then declared he would play his wild card. To me it seemed obvious that doing so would see the Germans attacking the British holding map 4, but my opponent is equally convinced that the battle should occur on Map 5 (The Spur), as the Brits would have been attacking onto this map when counter-attacked. Now having looked at both the campaign rules (At the Sharpe End) and the Martlet rules I can't say it's clear to me. I have worked out that having seized the initiative as the attacker he can choose between the scenario that would have otherwise been played and 'attack and defend', but I can't see where it states whether the battle is played on the map just taken on the next map to be attacked. Am I missing something, or has anyone played this?

Thanks as always,

Gaff
Gaff-Oz

Re: Martlet wild card

Post by Gaff-Oz »

Just reading the rules again I see the wild card is removed at the end of turn 6 whether or not it has been played, however I'm still interested in how people think it should be played in terms on which map.
Peter

Post by Peter »

Play it on the last map the British won. The Germans are holding all the others.

Peter
Seret

Post by Seret »

Peter wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:33 am Play it on the last map the British won. The Germans are holding all the others.

Peter
This. The wild card works the same way as any other counter-attack, so hits the defenders on the last rung of the ladder they hold.
redmist1122

Post by redmist1122 »

Sooooo....a follow-up question then. Say the Punch from Wünsche is successful, then that would push the Brits back to Map 3...correct?
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA
Seret

Post by Seret »

Yep, if they win the "Punch" game, they hold the initiative. So they've got the option of either holding the ground they've taken or continuing the counter-attack into map 3.
redmist1122

Post by redmist1122 »

Seret,
Thanks.
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA