1939-era Polish cavalry

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Contrarius

Re: 1939-era Polish cavalry

Post by Contrarius » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:37 am

Nice pic @Truscott. Are those 28mm tanks as well? I love the MDF building, simply perfect for the Polish outback.Do you know the manufacturer?

The main reason I'm sticking to 1/72 scale is the availability of vehicles. Also I have a fair bit of scenery still knocking around from my teenage years. 28mm is indeed much prettier but it's also more expensive and takes up a LOT more space.

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:55 am

gebhk wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:13 am
You need to bear in mind that even in 1/76 the SHQ limbers seem underscale, particularly in terms of width. They should fit three men sitting comfortably on them but these manage two at a squeeze. The nags too are very small. However, if it's cavalry guns you want to model, the HAT Putilovs come with a perfectly serviceable limber and a simple conversion of the Putilov guns will produce a convincing wz 02/26.
Bummer about the SHQ limbers. Was rather taken with them. Are you sure about HaT Putilovs coming with limbers? On Plastic Soldier Review I see the box contains 4 guns (in truth, rather too many for my needs) and no limbers. I suspect FtF will eventually get round to producing the wz 02/26 since artillery definitely seems to be their "thing". For the time-being my FtF Schneiders will do the trick, though I would eventually like to give them horse artillery crews and proper limbers with full draught teams.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:56 am

Contrarius wrote:
Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:37 am
Nice pic @Truscott. Are those 28mm tanks as well? I love the MDF building, simply perfect for the Polish outback.Do you know the manufacturer?

The main reason I'm sticking to 1/72 scale is the availability of vehicles. Also I have a fair bit of scenery still knocking around from my teenage years. 28mm is indeed much prettier but it's also more expensive and takes up a LOT more space.
Yup 28mm tanks and other stuff in the pipeline from here
https://kromlechhistorical.com/

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:29 pm

Wow, a new Polish company producing 28mm figs. Now that's gotta be a first!

Very much looking forward to those buildings, though will have to check how they suit my 1/72 armies.

gebhk

Post by gebhk » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:32 pm

Are you sure about HaT Putilovs coming with limbers? On Plastic Soldier Review I see the box contains 4 guns (in truth, rather too many for my needs) and no limbers.
Mea culpa, you are quite right. Looks like I got my Aces mixed up with my Hats. ACE 72257 76.2mm Russian gun 1900/02. Just omit the seat on top of the limber for a cavalry gun.

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:47 am

Hey, @gebhk,
Sorry to go back to Polish cavalry taczankas. Have you seen these?

https://earlywarminiatures.com/product/ ... mg-4-crew/

At £14.60 a pop they're not cheap, but they do look nice.

Supposedly 20mm but I have no idea what that means in real life. Are they small 20s (like SHQ) or big 20s?
I do wish manufacturers would state scales as ratios – like 1/72 or 1/76! (Not that they'd stick to them anyway :mrgreen: ).

Arlequín

Post by Arlequín » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:29 am

Tom's Tins, which are the core of the EWM range, were nominally 1/76... but on occasion vehicles might be closer to 1/72. I would imagine that as Tom still sculpts for EWM, that the same holds true.

You could perhaps ask EWM for measurements before buying?

gebhk

Post by gebhk » Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:14 pm

Hi Contrarius. I have seen them..... I'm afraid they didn't tempt me as I still have a few of the old Miltra jobs and FtF have mumbled in the past about making them too, so I am happy to wait.

I have only just noticed that i wrote this imbecility previously:
Miltra make the best (in my opinion) 75mm Schneiders in 1/72 and, if memory serves, they also make limbers though no horses etc to go with them AFAIK.

What I meant to write was that AlBy make the best etc etc... :oops:

Contrarius

Post by Contrarius » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:14 am

So, after my false alarm a few months back, it seems FtF will indeed be releasing their 1/72 Polish cavalry fairly shortly. According to comments on the company's Facebook page, the dismounted cavalry/uhlans will be issued as #066, meaning probably in the first week or two of April, while their mounted counterparts are planned for the second half of 2019.

The mounted horsemen at least will be of hard plastic, with the horses consisting of right and left halves, and most of the riders being a single moulding.

gebhk

Post by gebhk » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:49 am

Given No 63 is already in the shops and No 64 awaited any moment, it might well be sooner :D

The masters of the horses look good and they and the figure available to view look sensible - no silly waving of swords and lances about at the gallop. Maybe they will continue the very sensible precedent of their artillery crews and produce the dismounted cavalry fingures in hard plastic too? Fingers crossed.

To return to an earlier theme, while poking about for something else, I found some instruction leaflets for the French-made resin models of the Schneider mle 1897 guns etc. The company is (?was) ita SARL (not to be confused with ITA SARL) and the kits in question are, alas, long OOP. Kicking myself black and blue on reading the full range of stuff they did, but hey, spilt milk, crying etc.

Bestest
K